Relieve your Stress this Midterm Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Feeling overwhelmed, exhausted and restless constantly lately? Congratulations! You’ve made to midterm season, a time of stress and no sleep. The stress of having midterms after midterms with essays due between the span of a week or two really takes a toll on your mind, body and well-being. It’s easy to get wrapped up into the craziness of midterm season that a lot of us forget to decompress and find ways to destress which leads to insanity and explosions. So here are some helpful, daily, stress-relieving activities that you can do this midterm season! Happy Studying! 

1. Start in Silence 

Start your morning with 5-10 minutes to yourself in silence. This allows you to start your day in a state of peace and calm which will help set the tone for your day.

2. Eat mindfully.

What you put into your body will really affect your mood and energy. Fuel yourself with healthy, energy boosting foods to help ensure you are feeling good the rest of your day. Especially this midterm season, the foods you eat will determine your concentration level.

3. Breathe 

Do not forget to breathe throughout the day. Stress causes our body to hold tension which means holding our breath. If you know that is you, dedicate some time throughout your day to take three cautious inhales and exhales. This will ensure the release of feeling anxiety and stress.

4. Hydrate

Staying hydrated during times of stress is extremely important. Especially in midterm season, consisting of long nights and lots of caffeine, your body goes through a stage of dehydration making it much more difficult for your brain to think and function.

5. Stretch and get moving 

We spend hours and hours on end sitting and staring at books and computer screens creating tension and tightness in areas like our back and neck. Relieve those target areas by stretching and moving around which will definitely wake up your brain.

6. Decompress

Once you know you are all done with your day of work and studying, give yourself time to relax and decompress before going to bed. Transitioning back and giving your mind and body time to decompress will ensure a better night of sleep, getting you fueled up for your next day. 

My name is Patricia Martin. I am currently a third year BFA dance major at UCSB. I am originally from Sacramento, CA. I have been dancing for seventeen years now and have not stopped. I am continuing my training in dance here at UCSB in order to meet my goal to one day be a part of a professional dance company. I also strive to become a choreographer and create works that will inspire other dancers and artists. Although dance is my life, my number one goal in life is to create and inspire whether that be through my dancing, performance or through writing. I am not the best speaker for I am best at expressing myself through movement and written words. And if I am able to use those two things and inspire someone, I am happy.