This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Name: Jasmin Dubey

Major: Communication

Celebrity crush: SO random but the guy from Pitch Perfect, Skylar Astin. Or Ryan Gosling. Or Johnny Depp. Depends on the day.

Relationship status: In a relationship

Hobbies: Yoga, drawing, exploring, beach-going, dancing, writing, discovering new coffee shops

What got you into yoga?

Funny story actually: my moms best friend literally had to drag me to a class. I had just quit ballet training which I had been doing for 10 years and was pretty resistant to anything else. My mom canceled on her last minute and told her to take me and I went dragging my feet one Sunday afternoon. Afterwards I didn’t miss a class for months!

How long have you been doing yoga? How long have you been certified in it?

I’ve been practicing yoga regularly since that day I tried out a class (at the studio I was certified later at) which was about sophomore year of high school. Before that I had attended a few classes with my parents over the years but it never stuck.

What is the difference between practicing yoga with a spiritual emphasis and a physical emphasis?

Historically, yoga itself is a religious component of Hinduism, but today it has been taken to be a spiritual practice in the West as well. I think practicing yoga with an emphasis on the spirituality of it is recognizing it’s ability to not only be a good workout or a way to sweat but a way of finding inner peace, self love and acceptance. As cliche as it sounds, when it is truly incorporated into your life and the right practice is found, it can be a way of life.

What’s your favorite yoga pose?

Honestly, it’s hard to choose as I love the whole practice in different ways. But if I had to, I’d say my favorite yoga position would be “pigeon” where you lie with one leg bent and folded under you and bow forward, it opens the hips and feels so good!

What’s your favorite type of yoga?

I love a good, challenging Vinyasa flow class. Music is super important to me so one that has a great playlist too!

Where can we attend your classes?

Yoga Isla Vista above silvergreens, Sunday’s at 11 am! See you there!

smile emoticonDescribe your average day.

Describe your average day:

Wake up and either practice yoga on my own in my dorm room or run to a local class. I work at the coffee shop Caje (stop by and say hi!) so I often will spend a few hours there either working or doing homework. Always have a lunch time beach break to center myself! Then you can find me exploring SB and grabbing dinner in IV with friends.

Favorite quote?

My motto is “live free.” My favorite quote is “Dear Human” by Courtney A Walsh, I read it at the end of every class!

Cheyenne is a first-year UCSB student currently studying Communication and Environmental Studies. She is a third-culture kid who grew up in Dubai, UAE and therefore loves to travel and challenge the different social constructs that exist within our world. She enjoys writing, exercising, fashion, film, and is a total foodie. You can find her on Instagram @cheyennekab.
Kirby is a recent graduate from UCSB currently living in Los Angeles. As a proud Her Campus UCSB alum, she's happy to be back on the HC team covering one of her fave shows: "The Mindy Project." On any given day you can find her with her nose in a book (let's be real - it's a Kindle). In her free time, she likes petting dogs, binge-watching TV, and eating a lot of food. Find her on Instagram: @kirbynicoleb or @GirlBossEats.