This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Over spring break, I found myself dragged into a random, unnecessarily dramatic, uncomfortable situation. Though it was resolved quickly, I just wanted to combat the emotional whiplash I was experiencing. An unexpected feeling came over me: I just wanted to walk. And walk I did!

Nearly two hours later, I’d walked all around my neighborhood— totaling about six miles. The drama of the day no longer affected me. I felt clear-headed and at peace. Since this fateful day, I’ve been craving walking. I suggest it as an activity to do with my friends. I think about going on a walk after a long day of classes. I plan out songs and podcasts to listen to. My Apple Watch has never seen me take so many steps!

I have now found that what I am experiencing is part of a larger phenomenon known as the “Hot Girl Walk” and this is my invitation to you to take the first *step* on your hot girl walk journey!

Though walking is a practice as old as time, the Hot Girl Walk, or HGW, has taken social media by storm. Influencers like Hannah Meloche and Ellie Thumann, along with countless other women, have posted numerous videos about the impacts of this fun form of exercise on their mental health. The HGW has its hold on hot girls everywhere (aka, everyone who chooses the HGW journey) and is completely welcoming for all to participate in! 

Other sources that attest to the benefits of walking include the Mayo Clinic, which discusses walking’s mental and physical benefits. According to the clinic, walking has plenty of beneficial effects like increasing energy levels, reducing stress and tension, improving cardiovascular fitness, and preventing heart disease. They state that the farther, faster, and more frequently you walk the more these benefits are amplified. 

As seen from my own experiences, the testaments of these women, and real science, when the HGW is incorporated into your routine, it can significantly improve your mental health. Whether you use it as a chance to be alone with your thoughts, a podcast, an audiobook, songs, or a friend, the HGW has endless opportunities to help you feel some extra TLC. The HGW is a non-intimidating, low-impact, accessible way to get exercise while truly feeling the self-care you’ve been craving. While other popular exercise trends— like the treadmill walk “12-3-30″— are similar in popularity, the HGW sets itself apart as an entire experience with its change of scenery, pace, and confidence-boosting mindset. No matter if you walk for 5 miles or .5 miles, the HGW just wants you to feel as good as you can feel— as hot as you can feel!

So, if you choose to dabble in the Hot Girl Walk lifestyle (which I hope you do), walk it out to your heart’s content— morning, afternoon, or night (as long as you’re safe, ladies)!

Eva is Her Campus at UCSB’s Editor in Chief, as well as a third year Communication major at UC Santa Barbara, where she writes about anything and everything she feels is exciting, fascinating, or entertaining. When she isn't writing for Her Campus, she is usually overthinking, working on one of her projects, or listening to Taylor Swift.