The Lalapink Beauty Products
The Lalapink Beauty Products
Her Campus Media
Wellness

Ideal Self Care Challenge in Social Distancing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Prepare yourself for what I am about to tell you because it’s going to sound remarkably simple: stop washing your hair. 

For every person out there whose self care consists of face masks and a million-step skin routine, this is going to be a little more difficult because committing to this means reducing the steps in your routine. Right now is the perfect time to seize the opportunity to train your hair to produce its own oils and natural shine. Social distancing means no one will see your hair get a little greasier because you’ll be stuck in the comforts of your own home. In a few weeks, your hair will have adjusted and have a whole new look. 

So next time you shower, stop before you reach for the shampoo and conditioner. Let me tell you why. 

Hair produces oil all by itself, sebum, meant to hydrate and nourish your hair. When you shampoo everyday, or even every other day, you remove your hair’s natural oil and train it to rely on conditioner or oil supplements. This seems silly because your hair literally produces its own hair mask. For all of you worried about your hair being too dirty to handle, try just one week—seven days—of no shampoo. After that, try and make it at least another five days, then go ahead and get your hair wet in the shower. A good trick is to brush your hair out before you step in the shower to prevent tangles and unwanted knots. Soon enough you will have trained your hair to be shiny and healthy, not greasy. 

Go ahead and ask your hairstylist; they will tell you that only washing your hair once a week is the right move. It makes the color last longer if you dye your hair, it returns strength to damaged ends, and it will take away your frizz almost completely if you have curly or wavy hair. 

I have been doing this since quarantine began and sure, the first week and a half was tough. I was not used to seeing my roots that greasy, but luckily my mom and I were the only ones who had to look at my hair. My hair has always been long and wavy and it was never unhealthy (I use sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner and only highlight it when necessary)⁠, but this took my hair to a whole new level of curls embedded in my waves and not a single frizz to be seen. It is softer than ever and it looks healthy and sleek rather than greasy and dirty. Please, for the sake of your hair and the fact there is nothing really stopping you, try to wash your hair only once a week and I know you won’t regret it. 

Sabrina is from Huntington Beach, California and is studying as an English Major at UCSB. When she is not studying she is at the beach with her friends, writing, reading or painting for fun. Women empowerment and writing are her two passions in life so she is thrilled to join the Her Campus team at UCSB.
 University of California, Santa Barbara chapter of Her Campus