I Drank Four Yerba Mates and This Is What Happened

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

“Okay, so two midterms and two five-page papers, all due on Week 6. I can totally do this.”

This was the lie I told myself on week one, to only find out on Week 5 that I can not, in fact, do this without pulling multiple all-nighters. My first all-nighter was the Friday before Week 6, in which I had no caffeine. I was going great until the third all-nighter when I literally found myself taking little, unannounced naps at random times of the day.

I am a huge Yerba Mate fan. However, I tried staying away from the great UCSB Energizing Drink. Yeah, I tried but did not succeed. Come Monday I found myself at the harbor purchasing a Pomegranate Yerba bottle. In as little as ten minutes, the drink was gone and in my stomach. I waited patiently for it to kick in and my tiredness to just dissipate but an hour went by and I still felt the heaviness of my eyelids. So out of desperate measures, I went back and bought another Yerba, then when another hour went by I bought another Yerba, and then I did it again. Before I knew it I drank four glass yerbas in four hours.

NEVER DO THIS! After I drank four, I felt a jolt of energy rush through me. I wrote 250 flashcards, finished both essays (which were due a week from then. Yeah, I like to get my things done weeks in advance), and studied for both midterms.

Image via Yerba Mate

Now, all of the things that I had listed that I got done sound amazing, right? You might want to now purchase four Yerbas and drink them, right?

WRONG! I did not sleep! My brain thought that 11 pm was 5 pm until I looked outside and saw that it was pitch dark. I did not sleep that night and crashed so hard at my 11 am class. So, the moral of the story is to drink one Yerba, get a good nights rest, and try your best to stay away from having two midterms and two papers due in one week. Good luck, collegiates!

Image via Amazon 

My name is Jasmine Marie Palmerin. I am a second year, majoring in English and Sociology.
Hi, Collegiettes! I'm Carmen, a Communication major at University of California, Santa Barbara and one of two Campus Correspondents for UCSB. I would love to one day work in either fashion, food, tech, financial services or philanthropy. My dream is to find a job that somehow combines several of those elements. Until I get there, I'll be munching on copious amounts of Trader Joe's dried mango, jamming out to my man, Frank Sinatra, and focusing on creating intriguing content! If you like my writing, talk to me. ;)