This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

In a world where #SelfCareSunday often seems synonymous with expensive days at Miramar, green Erewhon smoothies that cost as much as a meal, and yoga classes at Corepower that could double as a down payment on a house, it’s easy to think that taking care of yourself requires a hefty bank balance.

The truth is, self-care doesn’t have to arrive in a golden-plated package with a matching price tag. In fact, it’s often the simple, budget-friendly activities that work wonders for your well-being without sending your wallet into hiding. In this article, we’ll explore five ways to take care of yourself without feeling like you’ve gone into debt.

Breathing is Good for the Soul

Breathwork, often overlooked yet immensely powerful, is a cornerstone of self-care. My personal favorite breathing technique is the 4-7-8 method. This technique involves inhaling for a count of four, holding for seven, and exhaling for eight. Repeat this pattern a few times, and feel the stress melt away from your mind. It’s a tool available to everyone, anytime, anywhere, making it a quintessential and cost-effective form of self-care that’s hard to beat. 

DIY Spa Day

Who needs Miramar when you have the Target mini section? Target is home to amazing face masks, cleansers, and moisturizers all in the range of 3-10 dollars.  No cash? No problem! Grab a pot and fill it with water over medium heat. Once it starts to boil, hover your face above the steam, with a towel over your head for a relaxing (and free) facial. Afterwards, whip up your own body scrubs using ingredients like sugar, salt, coffee grounds, or coconut oil. Mix them together for a cost-effective exfoliation session that leaves your skin smooth and revitalized. 

Trail mix and Twists

Hiking trails are a great way to get your dopamine receptors going, and we have so many great trails in SB! Take a trek down Butterfly Grove on Hollister Avenue. This trail is even accessible down on Sands Beach. With great views and butterflies fluttering all around you, what better way to ease your mind? 

Master Yogi

Yoga has amazing benefits for your mind, body and soul. Along with improving strength and flexibility, it also improves energy levels, heart health, and manages stress. But you don’t need Corepower to feel like a master Yogie. YouTube channels like Yoga with Adriene, Breathe and Flow, and YOGATX are all free resources great for all levels of yoga enthusiasts. 

Night In 

Rediscover your love for your home by vamping up your night in! Find an easy recipe on The Modern Proper, light some Dollar Tree candles, and put on your comfort show. Sometimes we get tired of the same old night every day — by changing it up, you can feel pampered and proud!

Self-care isn’t a luxury reserved for those with overflowing bank accounts; it’s a universal right that can be embraced by anyone. Taking care of yourself can make you and your energy feel rejuvenated in life. It is so important to not only do the bare minimum, but romanticize every action to feel expensive! So go ahead, indulge in these affordable self-care delights and watch as your happiness grows without causing financial mayhem!

Laurelle is a fourth year Psychological Brain Sciences major who loves true crime, reading, and all things Taylor swift related. When her nose isn’t in a book or studying, you can find her at the ocean probably thinking about the values and complications of life.