This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Unless you’re one of the lucky few who happen to be morning people, waking up in the morning can be one of the most difficult things to do. As daylight savings ends and the weather gets gloomier, it feels harder now than ever before to get your day started. If you’re someone who’s constantly hitting the snooze button or waiting until the last minute to get out of bed, these tips might be helpful for you.

Have a fuzzy robe and/or slippers by your bed

Arguably, the worst part of getting out of bed is having to leave the comfort of your warm cozy bed. As the weather starts to get colder, having a warm robe or pair of fluffy slippers available to you first thing in the morning will make the transition into your morning routine a lot smoother.

Download a sleep-tracking app

Sleep-tracking apps, like Sleep Cycle, are made to monitor your movement while you sleep in order to wake you up when your in your least deep phase. This is especially helpful for those who are always sleeping through their alarms.

Create a morning ritual you enjoy

Though the idea of having to wake up a little earlier might not seem fun, having a morning ritual to look forward to may help motivate you to get out of bed quicker. Whether it’s having a nice cup of tea or watching your favorite YouTuber before class, having a little time to yourself in the morning can help you ease into your day.

Stretch!

Getting your blood flowing and your muscles moving will help you shake off that grogginess. While going for a morning run might sound daunting, doing a few simple stretches while you’re still in bed will help warm up those muscles that haven’t been moving all night long.

Buy your morning coffee ahead of time

If you’re someone who likes to have a caffeine boost in the morning, consider stocking your fridge with bottle or canned coffee. While it might not be the same as having a freshly brewed cup, you at least won’t have to make an extra stop in the morning.

Have a glass of water by your bed

If you’re not a coffee drinker, have a glass or bottle of water ready by your bed instead. Drinking water first thing in the morning can help jump-start your metabolism as well as hydrate your body after a long night of sleep, and having a glass by your bed just means you can do all that without even leaving your room.

Plan your outfits the night before

You’ve probably already heard this tip before, and that’s because it’s so helpful! Planning your outfits the night before means not having to think as much in the morning, and nothing is worse than not being able to find an outfit that works when you’re on a time crunch.

Make sure you’re taking care of your mind and body

If you’re having a hard time waking up in the morning, chances are that your physical or mental health is affecting your sleep. Sometimes, the solution is as simple as taking some vitamin D or talking to a friend. Whatever the reason for your poor sleep may be, taking care of yourself is always a good idea, especially when seasonal depression and flu outbreaks are at their peak.

Sally is a fourth year communication student at UCSB. Her favorite things to do include traveling, eating, and binge watching YouTube videos. In her ideal future, she is either a research professor or market analyst for a digital entertainment company and living in her hometown of LA with a hypoallergenic cat.
 University of California, Santa Barbara chapter of Her Campus