This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

When I first moved to Santa Barbara, I never imagined I would adopt a community like Isla Vista into my life. Although it is only a half a square mile, Isla Vista is a dynamic and diverse community surrounded by beautiful nature and friendly people. But just like any other community, there are more sides to it than just surf and sun.

Trash is scattered on the streets and beaches and community members struggle to obtain necessities for themselves and their families. As a member of this community, I believe it is our duty to help those in need and protect its surroundings even though we are only here for a short period of time. Together we can elevate this community into a real oasis by giving back. Here are a few easy ways you can:

1. GIVE Isla Vista

GIVE was created to motivate students to recycle and donate unwanted items rather than throwing them away. You can easily donate any items that you no longer need into the donation bins located throughout UCSB and Isla Vista. These used items are then sold to the community at low prices annually where they donate the money raised to Isla Vista non-profits. By providing necessities to the community while reducing the amount of trash, this program kills two birds with one stone!

Image via noozhawk

2. Adopt-A-Block

Isla Vista suffers from overpopulation of cars making street sweeping impossible which leads to large buildups of trash. Adopt-A-Block was created to conduct regular street and beach clean-up. The program focuses on the investment and involvement of support by the Isla Vista community. The surrounding environment is iconic and should be protected. It’s also a great way to obtain community service if you need it!

Image via noozhawk

3. Associated Student Food Bank

Did you know our school had a food bank? Since April 2011, the AS Food Bank have serviced around 3,500 students! If you have extra food lying around and you are willing to give away, you can donate it to the various donation bins located around campus. If you’re on a meal plan and can’t finish your swipes, you can donate your meal swipes to those who will utilize it. Just donating one can can improve someone else’s life in need.

Image via thebottomline

4. Isla Vista Youth Projects

This is a amazing way to volunteer and maybe spark a potential career interest. The Isla Vista Youth Projects work to provide educational, social, and recreational programs for all children and families. Whether you want to work at a daycare with infants, assist a teacher in a grade-level class, or aid in monthly food distributions — it’s up to you! Everyone in our community is important and should feel supported.

Image via twitter

5. Being the Best Gaucho You Can Be

The simplest way you can give back to our community is to just be a good community member. If you see a piece of trash on the ground, pick it up. If you see someone who is in need of help, lend a hand. The small things add up and giving someone a smile can make a person’s day. Gauchos should help other fellow Gauchos because we are all in this together! Make a change today!

Jenny Chu

UCSB '20

Jenny is a third-year student at UC Santa Barbara, studying Sociology. She is an avid creative writer, music festival attendee, Netflix enthusiast, and has a love for dessert. See what Jenny is up to on Instagram @junebugjenny.
Adar Levy

UCSB '19

Adar is a fourth-year student at UC Santa Barbara, studying Sociology. She is an avid creative writer, podcast listener, music enthusiast, and foodie. Loving everything from fashion and lifestyle to women's empowerment, she hopes to work for a major women's publication one day. See what Adar is up to on Instagram @adarbear.