6 Things RAs Won’t Tell You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

1. They don’t care about your roommate conflicts.

Freshman year was a while ago for them, and living alone can severely affect the lens with which they view how unbearable your roommate(s) are; it’s not really that they don’t care, they just want you both to get your sh*t together.

2. The mandatory meeting… isn’t mandatory.

They just say that to get you to go. Really. However, if you get in trouble over something that was said at the meeting and you missed it, they are filled with joy.

3. They think you are very attractive.

RAs generally have a rule of no fraternization with their residents. While some just don’t care, most won’t acknowledge anything else except their parental feelings towards you.

4. They do feel like hypocrites when they’re writing you up.

Let’s be realistic, there’s a reason you don’t see them on the weekends. RAs party in a realm of “turnt safety,” so they really do pity you when you’re pouring out a brand new handle of Vodka.

5. Floor funds = snack budget.

They buy what they want, in hopes that you want it too. If there’s leftovers, you’ll probably never see them again, unless you visit your RA often.

6. Lastly, they do want you to utilize them.

They actually care, and that’s why they have the job — but they don’t want to be bombarded with requests all the time. So, if you are in dire need of something, let them know. They probably have the means to hook you all the way up, especially if they like you.

Film & Media Major, #BlackGaucho, Senior, and writer.
Kirby is a recent graduate from UCSB currently living in Los Angeles. As a proud Her Campus UCSB alum, she's happy to be back on the HC team covering one of her fave shows: "The Mindy Project." On any given day you can find her with her nose in a book (let's be real - it's a Kindle). In her free time, she likes petting dogs, binge-watching TV, and eating a lot of food. Find her on Instagram: @kirbynicoleb or @GirlBossEats.