Why You Need to Start Having “Rotting in Bed Days”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

My idea of a perfect Sunday, you might ask? Rotting in bed. While this term has only recently been swirling around online, the routine itself is something I’ve been practicing for years. As someone whose favorite activity is relaxing in bed, I’m obsessed with the idea that we’re embracing it in 2024. If you haven’t tried it yet, here’s why I think rotting in bed is totally essential.

If you’re not familiar with the concept, a day spent “rotting in bed” is pretty self explanatory. You’re actively choosing to not be productive and instead deciding to stay comfy under the covers all day. Snacks, a good TV show to binge and your comfiest pajamas are essentials for the perfect “rotting in bed day”. 

One thing that’s true for any UCLA student? Life can be hectic! For me, this quarter has felt like everything in my life is scheduled to the minute. Seeing other people taking the time for themselves and unwinding feels super validating. It’s a nice reminder that we can all be more gentle on ourselves and focus on life’s simple joys (eating cake and rewatching Gilmore Girls).

Despite the negative connotation that “rotting” in bed may carry, I find that it’s actually more restorative than anything. As someone with a low social battery, nothing is more healing to the soul. Just spent all of Saturday out and about with my friends? Looks like I’ve earned myself a Sunday rotting in bed! 

That being said, it’s okay if you’re a little bit productive! Personally, I love to read in bed without the worry of all my responsibilities, and I even sometimes use these days to get ahead on homework. The idea of a relaxing day isn’t one size fits all – what’s important is that you choose to do the things that make you feel at peace, whatever that may be. 

So next time you’re starting to feel a little overwhelmed… rot in bed! In fact, it might be just the kind of break you need to get back in a productive headspace. Even if you’re not an introvert like me, we all deserve a little “me time” every now and then. 

Kelly is a second-year Communications major at UCLA from Pasadena, California. During her free time, she can usually be found lost in a book, grabbing a coffee, or obsessing over the latest reality TV show.