This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Sometimes, all you need is a quick day trip to reset. However, for us carless college students, it can seem a daunting task to do so. Luckily for UCLA students, LA is home to an endless variety of iconic activities and destinations. I’ve compiled a list of some of my favorite (and mostly affordable) options.

The Getty

The Getty is by far one of the most underrated art museums in Los Angeles. Totally free and seated at the top of a hill with a wonderful view, a trip to the Getty is less than a five-minute drive and a complimentary tram ride from the UCLA campus. The Getty features a beautiful range of European art and a stunning garden, all amidst sleek modern architecture. Though most UCLA students are familiar with the Hammer Museum (if not, definitely check it out!), the Getty is certainly less talked about.

Universal studios

If you’re looking for a little more of an adrenaline rush, Universal Studios is just close enough to UCLA to make the perfect day excursion. For fans of Harry Potter, the Wizarding World offers an unparalleled immersive experience (Butterbeer!). Not to mention, UCLA students get special discounts on tickets from the UCLA ticket office.

Santa Monica

Santa Monica is my go-to day trip as a UCLA student. Just a quick bus ride away, it’s perfect for larger groups of friends and offers a range of things to do. From the beautiful beach to the pier rides and treats to the stores and restaurants, there’s something for everyone in Santa Monica.

Griffith Park

Griffith Park is a must-do in LA. Like Santa Monica, Griffith Park is home to a plethora of opportunities. You can hike the Hollywood sign, enjoy a picnic surrounded by lovely greenery or go to the Observatory. So many outdoorsy choices!

Hollywood Bowl

A famous amphitheater, the Hollywood Bowl was named one of the ten best live music venues in America by Rolling Stone. Seeing a show in the Bowl is a must-do in LA. From iconic pop artists to classic rock and country musicians to orchestras, the Bowl offers it all.

Hollywood Forever Cemetery

Don’t be deceived; it’s not just a cemetery. This celebrity cemetery is host to countless cultural events, including classic movie screenings, concerts, literature events and lectures. Attendees need only bring a picnic basket and a blanket!

Westfield Century City

Going to the mall just isn’t as easy as it used to be! Sometimes a simple trip to the mall is the perfect day’s activity, and Century City is a staple for UCLA students. The beautiful outdoor mall houses tons of popular stores, restaurants and a movie theater.

So now, you can’t say you have nothing to do and just walk to Westwood for boba for the millionth time (not that there’s anything wrong with that). When you go to university in one of the most iconic cities in the world, you have to take advantage. Make this your bucket list next quarter!

Kylee is a fourth-year at UCLA double-majoring in Communication and English with a concentration in Creative Writing. Her poems have been published in Train River Poetry, The Mandarin, Open Ceilings, and our very own Westwind (among others). She also writes feature articles for Her Campus at UCLA. In her free time, she acts, drinks way too much coffee, romanticizes everything, and buys more books than she can keep up with.