Trader Joe'S
Trader Joe'S
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon
Wellness > Health

The Top 10 Trader Joe’s Frozen Foods (Because I’ve Tried Them All)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

After a long day of classes or work, my relaxation routine often includes a trip to Trader Joe’s. The colorful chalkboards and cheap prices are a college student’s dream, and I’m not afraid to admit that I’d buy something solely because the sign in front of it is pretty. You can usually see me looking at a recipe on my phone and scouring the aisles for ingredients, but sometimes I beeline to the frozen section and clear the shelves. When I don’t feel like cooking, I can always count on these 10 frozen foods from Trader Joe’s: 

Thai green curry

Starting off strong, this is by far my favorite frozen entree. I gotta give it to Trader Joe’s, it says “authentic” on the box and it really does taste like Thai takeout. Did I mention it’s vegan too? 

veggie fried rice

There are a lot of fried rice options to choose from, but the veggie is my go-to. You can always add things like chicken or shrimp to it, but my favorite way to eat it is with soy sauce, a little sesame oil and a lot of sriracha. 

chicken tikka masala

There is nothing more you need to complement your meal when you’re having Trader Joe’s chicken tikka masala. It’s spicy, flavorful, creamy and an all-around great choice when cooking is the last thing you want to do. It’s also a fan favorite munchie food in my apartment, so rest assured that it’s gone through extensive testing in order to prove itself that it’s one of the best. 

Thai shrimp gyoza

Although it’s unclear what exactly makes these dumplings Thai, they’re a great quick and easy meal for a last-minute dinner. For the perfect dipping sauce, mix soy sauce, chili crunch or chili oil, rice vinegar and green onions, and enjoy. 

matcha green tea ice cream

All matcha lovers definitely need to give this a try, it’s just that good. Green tea was a staple ice cream flavor in my hometown, so this Trader Joe’s treat also reminds me of the days when my brother and I would beg our parents to take us to the ice cream shop across town. 

classic lemon bars

My late-night cravings more often than not include Trader Joe’s lemon bars. Even when frozen, the tart lemon custard and buttery shortbread are a perfect consistency and pair the contrasting flavors well, just like any freshly baked bars would. 

steamed pork and ginger soup dumplings

I distinctly remember my freshman roommate stocking our tiny Rieber Hall dorm fridge with boxes of these dumplings, and you know what, she was so right for that. They’re a great comfort food on a cold day and always hit the spot. 

ricotta and lemon zest ravioli

While more of a refrigerated food than a frozen one, I always make sure to snag this ravioli on my Trader Joe’s runs. All it takes is a few minutes in boiling water, maybe a quick toss in a pan with butter and garlic, and you have a pasta dish with the perfect mix of sweet and savory. 

burrata, prosciutto, and arugula flatbread

You can get a frozen pizza from pretty much every grocery store, but this one takes the cake. Even though it requires a little more prep than a normal pizza, this flatbread is worth the extra effort and is amazing with or without the prosciutto. Feel free to eat the whole thing in one big slice.  

Malabari paratha

Sometimes all I’ll eat is this bread and hummus and call it a day. Paratha is the easiest thing to heat up and is a fantastic vessel for whatever sauce you prefer; make Trader Joe’s your one-stop-shop and pick up their avocado tzatziki dip or Mediterranean-style hummus while you’re at it. 

When cooking is too time-consuming and delivery is too expensive, Trader Joe’s frozen foods is the obvious third option. After months of letting my groceries go to waste and eating these single-serving meals, I am confident in my refined Trader Joe’s palette. The next time you want a quick and easy meal, let this list guide you and I promise it won’t let you down. 

Audrie is a fourth-year student from Honolulu, Hawaii, majoring in Human Biology Society and minoring in Anthropology. Her favorite things to talk about are self-care, brunch, and her cat. She also really loves the beach and anything matcha flavored! In her free time, you can catch her shopping for records, books, and Trader Joe's snacks.