Gilmore Girls walking through Fall Festival
Warner Bros. Television
Style > Fashion

Repurposing Your Wardrobe: Summer to Fall Fashion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

The wise Lorelai Gilmore once stated (about fall), “It’s just my favorite time of the year. The whole world changes color.” In my humble opinion, she was correct. Fall is not only a time of shifting colors but of replenishing wardrobes. Autumn is the season for fashion. It is the opportunity to relish the exchange of jean shorts for miniskirts and tights and tank tops for turtleneck sweaters. As a college student, I firmly believe that the dark academia aesthetic which thrives during fall should have a special place in our hearts. 

So, let’s break down the components of the quintessential fall wardrobe. (Note: this list is dorm-friendly and easily personalizable for your unique style).

outerwear

Outerwear arguably defines the fall outfit. It can render a simple, neutral outfit stylized. For a classic take on autumn, cardigans and turtlenecks are great go-to’s that never go out of style. If you’re looking for something a little trendier, try off-the-shoulder sweaters or knit pullovers. Chunky jackets are also a great way to create contrast with an otherwise fitted look and an effective way to express your personal aesthetic. For instance, if you’re living for the “rockstar girlfriend” or “city girl” aesthetics, an oversized leather jacket is a great option. If you’re feeling sporty (or like something a little more trendy) varsity or racing jackets are fun. If you love Dead Poets Society and The Secret History, peacoats and tweed coats are dark academia trademarks.

tops

A simple top goes a long way, especially when you’re almost definitely going to need outerwear. Long sleeves of any sort are essential, whether a dainty boat or scoop neck or (once again) a classic turtleneck. Vests, whether pinstripe, velvet or sweater, are always autumn-appropriate. Lacy tops complement the spooky season, and button-ups are dark academia staples. Off-the-shoulder tops and sweaters are also super trendy this fall and can be easily DIY’d with a quick YouTube search and some scissors.

bottoms

Jeans. Always jeans. One in every wash: light, medium, dark and black! They’re timeless and easy to match. I’m also a huge skort enthusiast; black miniskirts or skorts are super simple and chic. Anything plaid is also great for fall, whether plaid pants or a pleated skirt. Midi skirts (including midi jean skirts—make of that what you will) are a projected trend this fall.

shoes

I adore fall shoes. Finally an excuse to wear boots! Black knee-high boots are critical and pair wonderfully with a black mini-skirt. Thanks to Miu Miu’s new ballerina-inspired collection, ballet flats and pumps are also very in this fall. Personally, I own a pair of black kitten heels from Repetto that I absolutely adore (as seen on Lily-Rose Depp and inspired by 60s fashion icons like Jake Birkin). They look lovely with chunky knit socks for that pilates or balletcore chic. Sneakers are also necessary, especially for us college students stuck on campus. Converse are very Bella Swan/Elena Gilbert, and Adidas shoes (of all sorts) are super trendy this autumn.

accessories

As previously mentioned, scrunchy socks (and leg warmers) are an incoming trend to look out for. They look beautiful paired with ballet pumps or a pair of oxfords. Knee-high and thigh-high socks are classics and satisfy my inner Arctic Monkeys fangirl. Tights are ideal for warming up (and elevating) a simple skirt-based look. Chunky belts are one of the most notable projected trends and look incredible with a sweater or a pair of low-rise jeans. Neckwear such as scarves and ties are also super cute and super trendy this year.

So, whether you’re a dark academia girlie, into whatever’s trendy or are dying to look like a vampire’s girlfriend this fall season, you’ll certainly be able to draw from this list of staples.

Kylee is a fourth-year at UCLA double-majoring in Communication and English with a concentration in Creative Writing. Her poems have been published in Train River Poetry, The Mandarin, Open Ceilings, and our very own Westwind (among others). She also writes feature articles for Her Campus at UCLA. In her free time, she acts, drinks way too much coffee, romanticizes everything, and buys more books than she can keep up with.