A Playlist To Help You Cry Your Way Through A Broken Heart

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Love is a beautiful thing – until it is not. Music has always served as a great comfort for me when facing heartbreak or sadness. Music allows me to say everything I feel but through the voice of a different human being. So, if you find yourself feeling sad and lonely, here is a playlist to help get through your heartbreak. Prepare yourself for some really sad music which is perfect to cry your sadness away.

“I Told You Everything” by Sharon Van Etten

This song is about remembering the impact of past lovers. I just find this song so powerful because it amplifies how scary it is to get close with someone and reveal your soul to them, when they could just leave your life so quickly.

“Teardrops On My Guitar” by Taylor Swift

Taylor Swift taps into the anger and sadness I felt as a 13-year-old, before I knew what true loneliness felt like. Now, at UCLA, hearing this song is cathartic, and helps me laugh with nostalgia at my 13-year-old self.

“No Children” by Moutain Goats

This is the saddest song I ever heard. Last year, during a meltdown, I played this song on repeat until I finally cried all my tears away.

“Enough For You” by Maisie Peters

This song is dedicated to those people you want so desperately to love you. Nothing is as painful as finding out someone does not want you.

“Square” by Mitski

Honestly, Mitski’s entire music career could be on this playlist. This one, however, is a particularly simple yet penetrating song about things falling apart. If you are crying, it is one you can screech along with.  

“Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me” by The Smiths

The Smiths are the best band to listen to when you feel like you are having an existential crisis. This song especially captures that feeling of hopelessness of wanting to be loved- a very common feeling for young people. And do not worry about old man Morrissey’s pro-Brexit opinions. This is the cool, younger Morrissey, who gets us.

“Cherry” by Harry Styles

A breakup song to sing along to when someone you love has moved on, but is still in your social circle. Sometimes a person you love is meant to stay in your life forever- just not in the way that you wanted. The voice of Styles’ ex is featured on this track. Talk about heartbreaking.

“Writer in the Dark” by Lorde

In this song, pop goddess Lorde powerfully sings about how she loved her ex but is ready to move forward for herself. The song is raw and gives off a feeling of relief. Lorde is telling us to let go and push through heartbreak.

These songs have helped me through hard times, whether it be the feeling of having your heart ripped your chest or just feeling deeply lonely at college. I think music has a deep power to help us process our emotions. Nothing says cathartic like screaming some sad Taylor Swift lyrics on a Friday night. This playlist reminds us it is okay to feel upset, and that crying and singing are healthy responses to get us through the night.

Shayna Freedman is an English major at UCLA. She hopes to become a screenwriter for film and tv after she graduates. Her favorite genres are horror and romance. Shayna is often ranting about feminism when not writing about anything relating to nerd culture. Be careful, she might end up going on an hour rant about the politics in the superhero genre. You can find Shayna writing, reading at the beach, finding the best brunch spots, or out on adventures with her friends.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.