New Year, New Me: Why I’m No Longer Over-Prioritizing Productivity

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Purchase a gym membership. Drink more water. Perform daily physical activity. Don’t eat any sugar or processed foods. Study every day. Make more money. Lose some weight. The idea of a “blank slate” is a societal illusion and an excuse for whatever we may be doing on January 1. Every year, we hear about how we need to better ourselves in some way, but what about nurturing ourselves? Rarely do I hear people declare that this is the year they will prioritize rest.

You are well aware that by mid-January, the sparkle of the New Year has faded. Those New Year’s resolutions become less attainable, and we eventually abandon them. Then the guilt and shame set in, and you feel like a failure, owing largely to the illusion created by social media that we needed to stay constantly plugged in and producing something. Do not be discouraged; it is okay not to fill your day with strenuous activities that society has deemed will make you a better person.

BTC WELLNESS?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
HCM Design

The hustle culture promoted is not sustainable, and rest is necessary. Many of your goals may make it seem like there is no downtime.  Rest, in my experience, is absolutely necessary to achieving success, health and happiness. Quality rest is not only important for good mental and physical health, it can also nurture creativity, boost productivity, encourage well-being, relieve stress and make you happier overall. Make this the year of rest and relaxation. Rest can appear differently for each person. Instead of paying for that gym membership, you may decide to invest in therapy. Instead of drinking three coffees throughout the day, you might opt for getting a restful night of sleep. Alternatively, instead of those intense workouts, go for a walk. This year, as I go over my resolutions, I’m going to prioritize rest and be kind to myself.

Wafa is a second-year Comparative Literature Major on the pre-med track at UCLA. Shes's on the editorial team where she hopes to cover topics on politics, beauty, pop culture, and everything in between.