Life > Experiences

L.A.’s Sixth Annual Black History Month Festival Is Coming Up!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

To celebrate Black History Month, Open Arms Food Pantry and Resource Center is putting on this year’s annual Los Angeles Black History Month Festival! The festival will have a marketplace with local vendors, live music and giveaway opportunities. 

Open Arms Charity, the host of the event, is a charity local to the Los Angeles area. Their mission is to provide food and housing for all, and with that, the main focus of the festival will be health, wellness and literature, and they will have speakers more oriented toward those topics. They are known for organizing food drives and local food closets for low-income communities, as well as being an asset for people applying to affordable housing options in Los Angeles.

Speakers include Dr. Patricia Adelekan and Dr. La Shawn Denise Witt. Dr. Adelekan is a founder of Youth-on-the-Move, a nonprofit that provides mentors for today’s youth so that they can overcome challenges they may face and achieve their full potential. Dr. Witt is an award-winning motivational speaker who has worked in the education field for 18 years. She has advocated for different methods to push kids to realize their potential by means of changing classroom management techniques. 

With this inspiring lineup alongside performances from local Black artists and bands, the festival is sure to be a good time. It will take place from 11AM to 6PM on February 19th, 2023 at the Michelle and Barack Obama Sports Park. Make sure to check out their Facebook page and website for more information!

Madenn is a fourth-year Political Science student with a minor in Conservation Biology at UCLA. She is passionate about all things environment, pop culture, and activism!