bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Health

Kickboxing: The Best Way To Keep Your New Year’s Resolution & Still Have Fun

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

It is the beginning of 2019 and many of us have resolutions that we want to achieve this year. One common goal is to go the gym more often and get fit. It is only natural that we want to feel better physically and not always end up panting while climbing up those dreaded death stairs…

The point is, if you are looking forward to making your gym habits more efficient and consistent, but hate the idea of going to the gym, this article is for you. For a lot of us, the idea of going in the crowded gym with minimal knowledge on how to properly use the weights and machines may be intimidating, or we may not know how to work out all our muscles properly.

The best way to keep active with fun and dynamic exercise, is the Kickboxing Class at John Wooden Centre. With an intimate setting of 30 students plus an instructor and his assistant, this class is the best way to get into the habit of going to the gym at least once and get a high intensity workout which eventually will help you go to the gym more often when you feel restless in the comfort of your room.

Kickboxing is a fun way to move all your muscles and stretch more than you thought you could while also being fun and non repetitive. You get to work out your frustrations and have the rare opportunity to do so physically in a controlled environment, so you don’t need to worry about hurting your partner. If you are interested in doing it at John Wooden, all you have to do is pay $50 for the entire quarter!

And once you have completed this quarter’s worth of sessions you can still work on your skills in your room or the punching bag at BFit or John Wooden. If you happen to make a friend during this class, you could spar with him/her on a regular day. And a bonus to getting fit while enjoying the process? You can also learn some useful self defense kicks and techniques!

Meghna is a writer for the HerCampus UCLA chapter. She is a second year who is double majoring in Microbiology, Immunology and Molecular Genetics & Communication Studies. She loves photography, martial arts and is a huge superheroes and science fiction fan. While she isn't writing, she is part of a research lab in Gonda Neuroscience Building and is a part of the UCLA Debate Union amongst other things. Hit her up with a nerdy science joke to start a conversation.