Tennis Shoes And Water Bottle
Tennis Shoes And Water Bottle
Her Campus Media
Wellness > Health

Is the Elliptical a Good Workout Machine? Examining the Facts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

When I tell people I like to start my workout routine with the elliptical, I tend to get mixed reactions. Some accept it as a typical cardio warm-up, but others don’t even believe it does anything for you because it is “self-propelling.” So today, I am going to set the record straight.

The main selling point of elliptical machines is that they are low-impact, minimizing your risk of hurting yourself. However, sometimes “low-impact” is convoluted as ineffective. According to Byrdie.com, because the elliptical stays within the same “plane of motion” for the duration of the workout, it may feel less tiring or difficult for those who want more intense exercise.

TIME magazine even adds that the workout is not as beneficial because of its “unnatural gliding motion.” This could come at a con to runners who would not be able to practice their running form on the machine and could potentially make their form worse overall if they are not careful.

feet
Flickr / Oregon State University

On the other hand, Byrdie.com also says while low-impact can translate to a lesser intensity, you still get to target specific muscles like your quads, hamstrings, glutes, calves and even arm muscles like the biceps and triceps. Plus, cardio in any form at least gets your body moving and is aerobic, and the machine lets you set your own pace, even if that means it could lead to slacking off.

According to personal trainer Julia Malacoff though, the elliptical cannot be your go-to everyday workout machine because, in order to be fitter, you need some type of strength training involved. Spending every day on the elliptical would be too monotonously low-impact that your body would get used to it and not see adequate results from it. Too much of anything, no matter how good or effective it is, is not going to be beneficial for you in the long run.

"My" Elliptical
Flickr / Prince Roy

Based on the benefits and drawbacks of the elliptical machine, it seems like the machine is a no-brainer for those with joint pain or injuries that want a form of cardio in the gym. It puts less stress and pressure on individual muscles, and in these cases, the gliding motion and constant contact with the machine can benefit you. Even for those who are more at the beginning of their fitness journey, the elliptical appears to be a good introduction.

However, for those who are further along in the exercise world, the machine does not seem as reasonable as another form of cardio would be, unless you are using it strictly for a warm-up and to get your muscles moving.

Either way, you can modify the incline and resistance to levels that best suit you and what you are trying to achieve in the gym. And that is the most important piece to any fitness journey.

Neeti is a UCLA student who has loved writing ever since she was born, whether that meant composing poetry or writing opinionated articles. She loves learning languages and is currently learning her fifth one. She loves water, hiking, biking, playing with her dog, and listening to music.