bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

How I Stay Empowered & Thrive On My Busiest Days

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

I have always been described as the organized and busy person in my friend groups. I used to hate that. I thought I was boring and too structured and could not have fun. It was not until later that I realized I actually thrive while being busy, running errands and seeing people. I realized that being the organized and productive person in every scenario was a blessing rather than a curse. It has allowed me to keep up a healthy mindset and be an efficient student, friend and daughter. But there is a process to staying empowered evey when things get busy, and it completely has to do with your state of mind.

The night before a busy day, I make a quick to-do list on my phone with really basic tasks like pick up mail, send a specific email, pack a lunch for the day or grocery shop. It allows me to keep everything on track and also serves as a reminder of necessary things. I also keep a sticky note on the desktop of my laptop that has more school reminders like seeing a counselor, filling out an application or going to office hours. I have learned the best way I thrive is by having all my responsibilities and goals written down in an organized fashion. With that being said, I am very anal about my iPhone calendar. I write down and color code when I have classes, doctor appointments, club meetings, and my work and research schedule. I write down all my assignments, plan what I am studying on which day, as well as jot down meetings and work events I need to go to. This helps me set clear goals, and it makes me feel better when I have a busy week. 

All of my organization is dependent on my mindset and the way I view things. As cliche as it sounds, I try my best to look at everything with the perspective that the cup is half full. Realistically, professional and social obligations are not easy to keep up with and many of these events are often out of your control. What you do have control over is the way you view a bump in the road or overcome obstacles. If you continue to be positive and driven, then you can get over your troubles. Troubles and unplanned issues are normal and they will occur almost regularly, but you have the tools to get over them.

Finally, I feel empowered by feeling good. I eat a healthy meal, wear clothes I feel confident in, do my makeup and hair (if time permits) and work out when I have the chance to. Every night, I tend to plan my outfits and my meals. This helps me save time, which makes me feel more productive and efficient, and thus I have more time for things like sleeping, finishing up a quick assignment, making phone calls or even just watch some Netflix in the morning. Additionally, exercise is a great way to get endorphins and just feel better about everything. Just one hour of working out allows you to not think about wrongdoings that may be happening around you. Overall, all of these tactics take effort, but I promise it makes you feel like a million bucks even on your busiest and most stressful days.

Yasmin is a second year student at UCLA. She is majoring in Psychobiology and minoring in Global Health. Other than being involved in Her Campus, she does research at the Semel Institute in Los Angeles and is a member of Flying Sams. She loves reading, binge watching Netflix shows, and painting (even though she isn't great).
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.