Wellness > Mental Health

How I Plan To Savor Thanksgiving Break: Little Ways To Recharge And Relax

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Sometimes, the quarter system feels like both a marathon and a sprint. Week 9 is definitely one of those times. You’re 24 miles in, drained of energy and wondering “Why did I sign up for this in the first place?” yet you’re expected to start moving at top speed. It never quite gets easier, trying to catch your breath after midterms in time to frantically inhale for finals. With Thanksgiving Break falling right during this crucial point in your academic run, it can feel hard to slow down your pace and give yourself rest. I, for one, know that over break I’m going to struggle with setting aside my work and compulsive need to be productive. In order to try and force me to take a much-needed water break from the quarter’s test of my endurance, I’m preplanning a couple of ways to recharge during my days off. 

Truly putting the quarter on pause requires being protective of your time, and a great way to set boundaries is by not letting notifications control you. Whether that’s fighting the urge to pick up your phone whenever an icon pops up or simply turning off notifications on class GroupMe’s and apps like Slack, it’s important to not make yourself constantly available to others. Recently, I’ve noticed how easily a tiny notification can pull me out of my self-care zone, so I want to prioritize limiting notification distractions over Thanksgiving Break. I want to set an out-of-office automatic email response on my work-related accounts and mute the school group chats that overwhelm my phone with messages and anxieties. Hopefully, these small steps will help me stay in the moment when I’m spending quality time with my family and let my mind relax and declutter. I’ll be able to avoid my typical mental loops of stressing over classes and campus life!

The next key to my Thanksgiving unwinding plan is utilizing the days off to rehabilitate my sleep schedule. I understand that sleep is essential for surviving this difficult juncture in the quarter, but Week 9 is usually when sleep becomes the most elusive for me. From juggling assignments to working longer shifts to hurriedly finishing quarter-long club projects, it can feel impossible to get my eight hours. During this chaos, I often find myself falling into unhelpful sleep habits like completing homework while snuggled up in my dorm room bunk bed. Thanksgiving Break will serve as my buffer days for setting my circadian rhythm back on track. I’m going to dedicate myself to not working (or using my tech too much) in bed, beginning my nightly routine earlier and allowing myself the joy of sleeping a full eight to ten hours. I know that these goals aren’t a quick fix that can save my sleep habits in a few days, but I also know that now is a better time than ever to build the positive patterns which will stave off my end-of-quarter burnout. 

So let this be your reminder: you have no obligation to fill your time away from school with “productive” academic and work activities. The most productive steps you can take are actually the aspects of your routine that will prepare your mind and body for the final lap to the quarter’s finish line. Rest up and enjoy a relaxing and reflective Thanksgiving holiday!

Kate is a third-year English major at UCLA, hailing from San Francisco. When she's not editing articles for Her Campus at UCLA, she enjoys getting lost in a good book and experimenting with vegan recipes.