My Favorite Nourishing Snack Options As A Busy College Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Everyone has a different opinion of what “healthy” looks like and snacks are no exception. Whether you’re looking for some high-protein fuel that can sustain you through your three-hour lecture, or maybe something that tastes good that won’t hurt your gut, here are a few of my favorite options. These snacks work for my personal nourishment goals and help power my hectic days on campus:

Trail Mix For A Chocolatey Fix

Trail mix might seem relatively boring BUT hear me out. Everyone has different preferences, which is exactly why trail mix isn’t boring! You can make it however you want. For me, I will sit on the couch eating chocolate while doing some homework or just relaxing, which ends up making my stomach upset. Thankfully, I found a really good trail mix at Trader Joe’s that has chocolate chips, peanut butter chips and a collection of assorted nuts, which has all of the things I like while also giving that extra kick of protein that makes me feel good.

Trail Mix
Christin Urso / Spoon
Koia Plant-Based Protein Shakes

These shakes aren’t only a great source of protein and a great thing to bring to classes in between meals, they’re also plant-based! There are keto and organic options with a multitude of flavors for each person’s unique tastes. Personally, I have these all of the time and like the chocolate banana and vanilla flavors the most!

Photo of my DIY matcha
Rebecca Karlous
Peatos Are The New Hot Cheetos

I enjoy Hot Cheetos as just as much, if not more, than the next girl. Unfortunately, Hot Cheetos have red dye along with some other things that don’t agree with me. and I have heard this from many others. At Sprouts, I found an alternative that is really good and has plant-based protein too: Peatos. They have a variety of options such as Fiery Hot Curls (AKA the Hot Cheetos replacement), Crunchy Onion Rings (which taste like Funyuns) and Crunchy Curls Classic Cheese. Highly highly recommend!

Anna Schultz-Girl With Arms Full At Gas Station
Anna Schultz / Her Campus
Trader Joe’s Baby Yogurts As Good As Ice Cream

Trader Joe’s never disappoints, seriously, do not deny it. This is a very interesting recommendation, but bear with me — the small yogurt cups, sold in two flavors, are the best. I really like ice cream, but these are honestly better (in my opinion) and promote gut health given their probiotics. My favorite way to transform these is by getting popsicle sticks and putting them into the strawberry banana flavor before freezing.

No matter what lifestyle you have, it’s always fun to try new things especially when it comes to food. These are things that I eat on a regular basis and think most people would like. Don’t forget to share these new snacks with your friends. These treats are not exactly the ‘healthiest’ because health looks different for everyone! But, they are really good alternatives that work with my needs and lifestyle! Happy snacking!

Kailey is an English major at UCLA and has her sights set on writing pieces that connect people to nature. Her main goal in her articles is to inspire people to be authentic and chase their passion.