Food Guilt During The Holidays: How To Move Past It & Enjoy The Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

The holiday season is officially upon us and, while this season is symbolic of warmth, laughter and family, for men and women alike that struggle or have struggled with any sort of disordered eating, the holiday season carries along with it food guilt, anxiety and stress. This season is marked with a plethora of amazing comfort foods, dinners with family and friends, and warming desserts. If you are struggling to enjoy the holiday season because thinking about all the food involved is making you anxious or stressed, know that you are not alone. A study conducted by Premier Protein found that 47% of all Americans fear that they will be tempted to overindulge in unhealthy food over the holidays. While this fear may be widespread, it does not have to consume you and overpower the happiness and joy you feel this holiday season. Here are a few things that have helped me to stop letting food guilt ruin my favorite seasonal dishes and holiday celebrations:

Do not set limits on what you can and cannot eat 

When you set limits on the types of food you allow yourself to eat, the quantity of food you are allowed to eat, or the time periods during which you can eat, you are more likely to binge eat, worsening your guilt. How many times have you tried to eat an incredibly small dinner and then overindulged in ice cream later in the night? When we restrict food groups or the quantity of food consumed, it makes our brain want the restricted food even more. Instead of restricting food, enjoy all your favorite foods during your holiday celebrations. If you go into celebrations without the mindset of restriction, you will not feel guilty when you indulge in your favorite foods.

Do not skip meals before the festivities 

The idea of “saving up” calories is before a big meal is incredibly illogical. When you skip meals, your body enters an emergency state or starvation mode because your body does not understand why you are not providing it with calories. In this emergency state, your body decreases metabolism and holds onto fat more in hopes of conserving energy. Your body does not know it will have a large holiday dinner later; all it knows is that it is running low on fuel. In addition to feeling miserable all day, because you are so hungry by the time you eat, you are more likely to overindulge at the holiday dinner and feel more guilty. Just eat normally before a big holiday meal instead.

Remember that the holidays are not only about food, but rather spending quality time with loved ones

When you broaden your perspective and realize that food is just a small part of this holiday season, you may begin to realize that in a time that should be surrounded by joy and love, feeling anxious about food is counterproductive. Spend this holiday season immersed with family and friends. Spend it laughing, baking, and having an amazing time. Remember that the beauty of the holiday season is about so much more than the food that is on your plate. I know it is easier said than done, but take a step back and try to see the holiday season for all that it can be.

Realize that overindulging is okay

It happens. Whether it’s during the holiday season or on any regular day, we overindulge sometimes. And that is okay. Overindulging once in a while will not hurt you. So, eat that extra bread roll and have some dessert during the holiday season. Focus on your environment, the warm people you are with, and the whole experience, rather than the one meal you may have overindulged in.

Practice kindness and compassion towards yourself instead of guilt

So you overindulged, what now? Nothing. It’s as simple as that. Show yourself some kindness. Drink some water and peppermint tea to help with digestion. Sleep in and get some fresh air the next day. Show yourself some compassion. You had a great night with great people, so rather than letting unproductive guilt slip in, invite kindness instead. Show yourself unconditional love.

The delicious food that you eat with close family and friends is one of the best parts of the holiday season. Most of this food you don’t usually eat at any other time of the year. So, indulge in your favorite foods, enjoy your meals, immerse yourself in the holiday season and all the joy that it should bring.

Eva Kaganovsky is a fourth year Psychobiology major and Food studies minor on the pre-health path. She is very passionate about nutrition, health, and sustainability. In her free time, you can catch Eva practicing yoga, singing extremely off key, drinking (way too much) coffee, or laughing with friends. Follow Eva's caffeine-fueled life on instagram @evaa.kay
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.