Wellness > Mental Health

Fighting Imposter Syndrome: 5 Ways To Surpass Feelings Of Inadequacy & Self-Doubt

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

My GPA ranked in the top 5% of all students in my high school; I balanced my education with sports, a job and a social life. Everything just seemed to come to place if I put in some effort. Flash forward to my first quarter in college where the fact that I never received lower than an A- in high school was not unique, nor was the fact that I was very analytical and put great effort into my education. I studied for hours on end for my first midterms and did decent at best. Of course, feelings of inadequacy began to seep in; no longer was I one of the smartest, the most hardworking or the most ambitious person in the room. Instead I, along with everyone in my freshman class, was essentially placed in a bubble: a bubble that was comprised of the most brilliant minds in the nation… how can you not feel like an imposter? And I wasn’t alone. According to a research paper published in the Journal of Behavioral Science, about 70% of all Americans experience Imposter Syndrome in their lifetime. Imposter Syndrome includes constant thoughts of: “I shouldn’t have been accepted into here”, “Everyone else is so much more accomplished and smarter than me” and “I don’t belong here.” 

Imposter Syndrome, or the feelings of inadequacy despite obvious success, not only can deteriorate your mental health, but may also have serious consequences on your academic success and future endeavours. Therefore, this is not a topic to take lightly. Here are some tried and true methods to overcome Imposter Syndrome and truly amplify your college experience.

Words of Affirmation

Not only will this quick activity help to halt Imposter Syndrome when it starts to creep in, it will also strengthen the aesthetics of your dorm room. Grab Post-It notes of different colors (I prefer pastel) and colored pencils. Next, jot down some of your greatest attributes, some uplifting words or strong and assertive sentences that your future self may want to hear and stick them onto your wall, desk or mirror. For example, “I am smart, competent, and here for a reason”, “I forgive myself for not being perfect because I know I am human”, “I know that I will accomplish anything that I set my mind to” and “I will succeed”.

We think millions of thoughts a day, so just imagine the power that our thoughts have over our mental well-being. Thinking positive thoughts can manifest a positive outlook and the motivation we need to succeed. Just like the saying “We are what we eat,” we are what we think, so stop with the self-deprecating, negative language and support yourself through your self-talk. When you need a pick-me-up, just repeat your words of affirmation to yourself.

Stop Trying To Be Perfect

Not only is trying to be perfect mentally draining, it is practically impossible (especially in college). Being “perfect”does not make you more meritable. Embrace your mistakes and your imperfection! That imperfection is what allows you to learn and grow the most and it is what makes you human. Embrace mistakes, take risks without the fear of failing and do not be afraid to laugh at yourself when you mess up.

Talk it Out

Internalizing all your thoughts will only exaggerate the feelings of Imposter Syndrome. Talk to someone. Whether it is a friend, family member or the Counseling Services on campus, you need to get out of your own head. Sometimes when we only have our own perspective on a situation, we have the tendency to magnify and intensify the situation and the feelings associated with it. Do not go down that rabbit hole! There is nothing wrong with confiding in others about your mental health; it truly can heal. 

Stop Comparing Yourself

You are your own person. You have your own strengths, weaknesses, pace of learning and ways of studying. Just because other people are different does not make them any better or worse than you. Be so focused on yourself and your journey to success that you do not have time to worry and fret over what other people are doing. Compare yourself to your own progress, not others. Everyone is on a different path, so find your path and stick to it.

Fake it ‘Til You Make It

One of my favorite sayings by Australian Health Youtuber Sarah Stevenson is “Act confident and no one will question you,” and I live by that advice every day. It is all about your mentality and the best part is that we are 100% in control of it. Act confident in your walk, your posture, your speech and your opinions and you will be surprised by how easily those actions will manifest into true characteristics. Keep your head up high!

You are worthy of being here. Do not let your doubt stop you from expressing the most amazing and confident version of yourself!

Eva Kaganovsky is a fourth year Psychobiology major and Food studies minor on the pre-health path. She is very passionate about nutrition, health, and sustainability. In her free time, you can catch Eva practicing yoga, singing extremely off key, drinking (way too much) coffee, or laughing with friends. Follow Eva's caffeine-fueled life on instagram @evaa.kay
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.