This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Walk 10,000 steps a day. Read self-help books to become the most well-read person in the room. Wake up at 6 a.m and pay for that Erewhon smoothie Hailey Beiber swears by. Pilates gave me that hourglass figure I’ve always dreamt about. Take a probiotic. Heal your gut. Stop eating meat. Skip that dessert. Protect your peace. Meditate for 10 minutes —it cured my self-diagnosed ADHD. Yes, that video on “This is Why You’re Not Happy” changed my life. Make your Pinterest board a reality. Gorgeous gorgeous girls practice gratitude daily and say their affirmations. Do all of this, and you should become “That Girl.”

Is this something you’ve heard before? I wouldn’t be surprised if you see these phrases on your “for you page” while scrolling through TikTok. I understand the appeal of being healthy and getting your life together, but the “That Girl” label is kind of problematic and something you shouldn’t strive towards. This trend is subtly telling women that there is only one way to be successful, and this is how they should strive to be. It also suggests that the life you’re leading right now is wrong, implying that you need to change yourself and do all these things to be a better person. Additionally, this trend implicitly romanticizes western beauty standards that exclude women of color and those who do not have the financial means to sustain this lifestyle.

You don’t have to be “That Girl” to progress in life. Let’s work towards cherishing the small moments in life such as watching the sunset or catching up with your friends in between classes. You do not need an elaborate road map to practice wellness. If you’re taking care of yourself and treating yourself kindly, who cares if you’re not “That Girl?” I think we need to collectively shift towards taking care of ourselves in ways that are tailored to our needs, not what some TikTok star tells us will make us feel better. Your life isn’t supposed to resemble a Pinterest board.

Wafa is a second-year Comparative Literature Major on the pre-med track at UCLA. Shes's on the editorial team where she hopes to cover topics on politics, beauty, pop culture, and everything in between.