Don’t Chase, Attract: My Thoughts On This Popular Mantra

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

“I do not chase, I attract. What belongs to me will simply find me.” I’m sure that most of us have heard this saying, or affirmation, before. It went viral a while ago on social media, and so many people gravitated towards it (myself included). I loved this affirmation and the message that it conveyed; I even made it part of the vision board I made for my computer lock screen. 

I was initially attracted to this affirmation because it seemed so different from other motivational sayings or affirmations that I’ve heard before. Those tend to say that going out and getting what you want is how to make things happen and that sitting back and waiting for things to come to you isn’t. But this affirmation takes that message in a completely opposite direction. It says that when things are meant for you, they will come and there’s no way to change that or force it. 

Now, that mindset is super appealing. It’s so reassuring to think that things and opportunities will just come your way when they are meant to. But, I actually don’t think that this is a good mindset for all areas of life. 

I think that in terms of love life and finding someone in your life (I think this affirmation is applied to this situation a lot), this affirmation is a great one. Relationships come and go, but they never feel right when they’re forced. This saying conveys the idea that the right person will come into your life when they are meant to, and when you are ready for them. Those kinds of conditions cannot be forced, and they need to be genuine; it doesn’t count when you say that you’re ready but in reality you aren’t. 

This affirmation is something that I always think about in regards to dating, and it tends to bring me a lot of reassurance for that area of my life. I know that when things are meant to happen, they will, and that if something doesn’t necessarily work out the way that I wanted, it simply wasn’t meant for me. 

However, I think that one area of life that this saying shouldn’t necessarily dictate is the academic or professional atmospheres. I think that when it comes to getting professional opportunities and experience, you have to put yourself out there; the right thing isn’t going to just appear in front of you all the time (although sometimes it definitely can; I’ve had some opportunities just fall into my lap, but the majority I had to go out and find them myself). 

I think that recognizing when the saying “don’t chase, attract” should apply or not is really important. But I think the most important part of this saying is how it conveys the importance of being content with what you have. 

In order to feel like things are going to come into your life at the right time, you need to not be hoping and wishing for them all the time, or constantly wondering where they are. You need to be happy and content with what you have in the moment, and trust that there are more good things coming your way when you are in a good headspace and ready to accept those things. I also think that being content, living in the moment and being grateful for what you currently have is such an important mindset that can really improve your perspective on a lot of things. 

Overall, I truly do love this saying and what it conveys. As long as it is correctly applied, I think it can be super beneficial and lead to some awesome things coming into your life. I’m sure that this saying will continue to be a part of my vision boards for years to come.

Maia Hull

UCLA '26

Maia is a second year microbiology and immunology major and mathematics minor from San Diego, CA. She loves to read and write, snowboard, go swimming, and hang out with friends, as well as the occasional shopping spree.