Debating Whether To Use Metro? Here Are The Top 5 Pros According To Frankie J. Valencia

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

In a city like Los Angeles, knowing how to use the Metro is essential!

Frankie J. Valencia is a senior at California State University, Los Angeles and a self-professed public transit enthusiast. Valencia has used Metro for almost every outing for a long time, and he enjoys taking pictures and videos of public transportation to share them on his Instagram. I decided to interview him because of his unique passion; I’ve never met anyone like him. In fact, I think he’s the only person that I have actually met who enjoys using public transportation and not cars. I asked him if he ever wanted to drive a car, and he responded by saying that maybe in the future but not now. What he really wants to do is continue to use the bus and possibly drive one. 

For most of us, public transportation has its pros and cons. For instance, it might be easy to drive, but with high gas prices and the struggle of finding parking, driving can sometimes make for a stressful journey.

Taking the Metro is not only easy, but it’s also affordable. It might not be the fastest form of transportation, but I would say that it is a reliable one. I have often taken the Metro to school, work, the beach, Union Station and many other places! All you need to do is learn how to use and understand the system.

If you ask Valencia why he loves public transportation, he will happily expand on the pros that I’ve identified. However, to keep it short, here are Valencia’s top five reasons why you should use Metro: 

Affordable Prices

During the interview, Valencia emphasized the affordable prices of Metro. Let me break it down. A one-way trip on a bus and/or rail costs $1.75. The good thing about this is that if the rider switches buses within the first two hours of having bought a one-way ticket, then it is free! Who doesn’t love free stuff? For riders looking for a one-day pass, it now costs $3.50. It used to be $7, but Metro is doing its best to keep their prices affordable especially with prices increasing everywhere. A 7-day pass costs $12.50, and now, a 30-day pass will only cost you $50. All these prices have been cut in half to make it easier and more affordable for riders. Not only that, but Metro also offers assistance to those who need it. Fun fact: K-12 students can ride the bus for free! More information on these affordable prices can be found on Metro’s website

Transit Reduces Road Congestion

Valencia also discussed how Metro helps “reduce carbon emissions and gasoline consumption.” He also mentioned that it reduces smog and pollution, which is usually more prominent when vehicles are stuck in traffic such as on freeways. Us Angelenos know all about traffic and smog, so this is a pretty convincing point.

Spend Less Money Compared To Car Owners

I probably have to agree with Valencia on this one. It is true that when you own a car, anything can happen, and by anything, I mean problems always seem to arise. A car needs to be maintained, and we all know that can be expensive. According to Valencia, Angelenos who own cars usually spend around $7,796 a year on transportation. Angelenos who choose to use the Metro spend around $1,200. That is a big difference. 

Safety and Security

It can be scary to ride the Metro, especially alone. However, Metro implements security. Sometimes, security personnel can be found in different bus stations. They are there ready to take action if they see something suspicious. Valencia also informed me that Metro has been doing its best to work on installing more lights, security cameras and Blue Light Call Boxes. Not only that, but now they have Metro Ambassadors who can be found on the train and/or outside of the railway station ready to help riders with directions or anything else. Metro is always working on keeping their transportation services more clean, so they have more personnel throughout the day cleaning vehicles and stations.

Social Environment 

Valencia enjoys looking at the scenery when he rides public transportation. But aside from looking at the view, he likes socializing with other commuters. He has met a lot of people on his rides, and during these rides, he has been able to hear their stories. Valencia recognizes that this might be scary, but he claims that it’s easier to meet others who frequently use the bus. For instance, at school, it is easy to note who takes the bus and who doesn’t. How? Well, every time school lets out the students who use the bus will usually take it. That’s an easy way to become friends and even bus buddies. Valencia stresses that being social on public transportation is a great way to improve one’s communication skills (while remaining safe and mindful!).

The Metro is a reliable and effective transportation service that more L.A. students should look into. Yes, it might take a while to arrive at your destination and it might not always be the cleanest, but Metro does its best to improve on these areas. As riders of Metro, we should all do our part to keep public transportation clean so these affordable options can still be available in the future. I hope that reading Valencia’s reasons motivates all of you to use the Metro once in a while! For more information on Metro be sure to check out their website.

Maria Alfaro is a fourth year student at UCLA majoring in Sociology and minoring in Spanish. She joined HerCampus at UCLA in 2021 and ever since has been able to do what she enjoys; write and share her stories with everyone. Her love for journalism grows with each story she gets to write. She loves to meet new people and learn new things. In her free time you can find her exploring the city of LA, dancing, binge-watching, blogging or relaxing.