cute girl taking mirror selfie
cute girl taking mirror selfie
Original photo by Ashley Ha
Wellness > Mental Health

Being Kinder To Myself: A Complicated But Necessary Journey

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Have you ever thought about yourself at one point in the past and thought, “Wow, what a literal IDIOT”? I don’t know if it’s because of Snapchat’s “one year ago today” feature or maybe it’s quarantine leaving me alone with my own thoughts too often, but lately I’ve been doing this a lot. Although it may not seem like much, I’ve realized that thinking about myself in this way has been doing more harm than good. After all, I would never beat up a friend over making honest mistakes like the ones I have made, so why should myself be any different? It took me a while to come to this realization, and it sure was a wild ride, but I’m glad I experienced it.

Ashley jumping at Stanford
Original photo by Ashley Ha

Last summer, I was super big on self-improvement. I was constantly seeking out podcasts about self-growth. I was eating healthy all the time, working out and trying to become the best version of myself (mentally and physically). This could have been an all-around positive goal, but my reasons for it weren’t good for me. 

I wasn’t working out and eating healthier because I wanted to be healthier- it was because I dreaded what I had turned into. I gained weight freshman year of college (a common experience most of us have), and I hated that I let myself get to that point. I also felt the need to grow mentally. I was more of an introvert, and I remember being in social situations and feeling the need to force extroversion. I didn’t wanna be seen as quiet or anti-social. So, I shed down all the weight I gained, forced myself to speak more (even when I didn’t feel the need to) and, in a way, I forced my confidence. During this time, I’ll admit, I felt great about everything and didn’t see anything wrong with it. After all, lazy, introverted, unhealthy Ashley from freshman year was no more. 

Ashley at LACMA
Original photo Ashley Ha
But the thing is, that lazy, unhealthy girl was still me. And quite frankly, that lazy, unhealthy girl wasn’t even that lazy or that unhealthy. Maybe she didn’t work out as much as she should have, and maybe she had a little too many pastries from The Study. But she was vibing. She didn’t have to be the loudest in the room to feel heard, she didn’t obsess about her weight 24/7, she was able to adjust to college after months of missing home and she worked hard to get better grades than she expected. Sure, she took too many naps and drank too much Yerba and coffee as if that would help, but she was learning. What present Ashley really needed to do was give this girl a break. Like, good for you, present Ashley, you’re evolving. But if you go through life constantly trying to forget, hate and erase the past version of yourself, you’re erasing the good along with the bad. 

Ashley at the study sunglasses
Original photo by Ashley Ha

The funny thing is, I told myself this exact thing all year. But recently, I found myself hating on sophomore Ashley. It was a similar situation: telling myself “Wow, you were so dumb a year ago for trying way too hard to change and improve yourself. I’m not even trying that hard right now, and my mental health is at an all-time high.” Once again, I was treating my past-self way harsher than I would ever treat a friend. Let’s check the facts, shall we? Yes, maybe I was putting too much pressure on myself a year ago, and maybe I didn’t need to force all that extroversion. But I was joining more clubs and meeting amazing people. I was advocating for myself more and realizing who my true friends were. It wasn’t as simple as “Ashley in the past was dumb, and Ashley now is superior,” which is something I often find myself believing in. 

Ashley and mom at LACMA lights
Original photo by Ashley Ha

I don’t know if there will ever be a “superior” version of myself. There will always be growth, whether that develops intentionally or not, but one Ashley is not above any other. All are learning, and all still have much to learn. 

selfie at computer with headphones
Original photo by Ashley Ha

I know that I’ll look back on this exact moment (September 2020 Ashley currently typing at her computer during a time where she may have the most brain noise than she has ever had in her entire life) a year from now and think, for a split second, “weak.” But, then I’ll let it go. Because it’s simply just a thought. It’s not reality, and reality is that September 2020 Ashley is doing just fine. She goes a little stir-crazy from time to time, but she doesn’t beat herself up as much. She’s learning to accept and grow from her mistakes in the past, present and future. And, future Ashley, thanks to her, you’re stronger. 

Ashley Ha

UCLA '22

Ashley is a third-year psychobiology major at UCLA. When she's not watching YouTube, she enjoys singing, songwriting, playing piano, and spending time with family and friends. She is also obsessed with Community and believes Britta is NOT the worst.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.