Style > Fashion

Battle Of The Athletic Brands: Lululemon vs Alo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

The other day I was on the hunt for a perfect multi-functional workout top, but hit a fork in the road when it came down to choosing between Lululemon and Alo. I think we can all agree that when investing in premium activewear, we want the clothes to not only be functional but also cute and comfy. Premium activewear has been on the rise for many years; it’s what we all turn to, whether it’s for a day of classes, going to the gym, or doing some pilates.

Lululemon has had an outsized grip on the activewear industry for almost 26 years now, but is it finally out with the old and in with the new? Alo, being a part of the younger and so-called “trendier” generation of athleisure, was created in 2007 and just recently gained popularity for their wellness initiatives that come alongside adorable workout pieces. So in order to avoid this fork in the road, I’ve decided to take the initiative to compare and contrast the practicality, price, trendiness, and core-values of these two up-scale workout clothing brands! 

As a tennis player, I’ve always been loyal to Lululemon (especially their pace rival skirt which I have in more colors than I should admit), but as I’ve gotten more into pilates and yoga, I’ve noticed more and more Alo products entering my closet. Starting with the basics, Lululemon aims to create products that allow people to live healthier, longer, and more fun lives. This fun mission statement perfectly encapsulates the whole granola girl vision that Lululemon portrays, and I can attest that their athletic wear definitely influenced my almond daughter habits. Alo, on the other hand, aspires to promote mindfulness and wellness through their products. Alo actually stands for “air land ocean” which is so unique and mirrors their mind, body, and soul sort of goal as a brand. Just from the two mission statements, it’s quite obvious that the brands have different audiences that they’re aiming toward. Lululemon covers a wide range of active queens from yogis to runners, whereas Alo is more geared towards range rover pilates girlies.

Now that we know enough about the company goals, let’s move onto price comparisons. Keep in mind that Lululemon is a Canadian company built many years ago and Alo is a newer Los Angeles based company. Lululemon is a publicly traded company, meaning that they actually sell stocks of their company. Alo, meanwhile, is a private company, which makes sense because they are still smaller in sales when compared to Lululemon. The average price of a Lululemon product is about $100, with their best selling Align Leggings being around $90 per pair. Leggings at Alo start around $120, but their best selling sweatshirts can range anywhere from $120 to $200. Just looking at the websites – where I may or may not have added multiple items to cart for research purposes OBVIOUSLY – the prices are relatively similar. The significant difference is that Alo’s sale section is way more equipped and cute compared to Lululemon’s very (how do I say this nicely?) vibrant “we made too much” section. If it’s coming down to price, I really don’t think there’s much of a difference between the two brands, but when it comes to the aesthetics, there are clear distinctions between them.

Whether you walk into the stores, or even just go on their websites, the two brands clearly have their own little cultures. Alo has a very monochromatic look which definitely reflects the LA sleek look. This minimalist chic take on premium athletic-wear is perfect, especially in big cities, because every girl wants to easily accomplish the model off-duty appearance which Alo definitely helps achieve. They even incorporate big names of our generation such as Kendall Jenner and Jimmy Butler to represent the brand. Lululemon is full of a variety of colors, making it appear as a whimsical store with something for everyone. There isn’t really a cohesive aesthetic to the brand, but I only think that makes it more diverse and welcoming for a variety of consumers. I think because Lululemon is already such a staple across everyone’s closets, its icon status allows it to have a pass on the funky and fun vibe. 

I’m guilty of having high volumes of both Lululemon and Alo products in my closet because it’s SO difficult to choose a single “best” athletic brand. I will say that the style of Alo is very chic and fits my personality very well, but for my long runs and gym sessions I will always wear my trusty Lululemon Hotty Hot shorts that have been in my closet for five years. After this elaborate and extensive research, I’ve come to the conclusion that Alo is somewhat over-hyped in comparison to Lululemon. Now hear me out – their products are very unique and I actually have a corset workout top that I absolutely love; however, the pieces aren’t as timeless as the ones that Lululemon sells. Something about the variety, quality, extensive color palette, and constant growth of Lululemon causes the brand to have a chokehold on the premium athleticwear industry. Still, Alo is a relatively young brand compared to Lululemon, so I’m intrigued to see if it will one day become the Lululemon of the upcoming generations.

Hannah is a second-year Economics and Political Science major at UCLA, from Yuba City, California. She enjoys writing about a variety of topics from finance to up-and-coming trends! In her free time she loves baking, going to the beach, exploring the coffee shops of LA, and playing tennis.