7 Chrome Extensions, Apps & Resources That Will Save You During Midterm Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Midterms week can be very stressful, especially with the added stresses of the election and virtual learning this year. With what feels like hundreds of assignments piling up within such a short period of time, it’s easy to feel overwhelmed. Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered! Here are seven online resources to help you ace your midterms:

Quizlet

Quizlet is one of my all-time favorite study apps. It is amazing for memorizing key terms and concepts for your exam! Thousands of college students use Quizlet worldwide, so there’s a good chance you will already find a premade study set for your classes. You can also have some fun by trying out the play feature where you can play games to test your memory. There’s also a practice test option, where Quizlet will generate a customizable test (multiple choice, short answer, true/false, matching) based on the terms in your set. 

Self Control Chrome Extension

If you get easily distracted while studying (who doesn’t) then definitely check out the Self Control Google Chrome extension. It’s easy to have a love-hate relationship with self-control, but it will absolutely save you from procrastinating while you study for your midterms. Self-control lets you block distracting websites for whatever time interval you set, which will help you keep on track while studying.

Grammarly

Another student favorite, Grammarly, is essential for all of the papers you’ll write during your time in college. Grammarly’s free version lets you check for the basics such as grammar, spelling and punctuation. However, if you update to Grammarly premium, you can check for plagiarism, style, word choice, conciseness and other super helpful features to elevate your writing!

Calm

Since midterms and assignments can get incredibly stressful, it’s extremely important for you to check up on your mental health. Don’t forget to take a break and give yourself time to relax. The Calm app helps reduce your stress levels and improves your sleep by providing meditation programs and calming music. My personal favourite is “The Confidence Series,” which features four different episodes on meditations before important meetings and big events. It’s definitely worth checking out while you’re taking a study break!

Google Calendar

While everyone knows what Google Calendar is, very few know just how useful it can be in time management and planning. During midterms season, it is essential that you schedule all your assignments beforehand to prevent additional stress in the future. I personally love to use Google Calendar to plan out my weekly schedule. Specifically, I like to color code my events based on what category it falls under: classes, events, personal, deadlines or reminders. Google Calendar is also a great way to schedule meetings because you can sync the event on both of your schedules.

Evernote 

Evernote is a great app to use for note-taking and organizing. The app has a minimalistic layout that makes it extremely easy to take detailed notes for your midterms. It also comes with around 50 premade templates (such as meeting agenda, project goals, gratitude journal, Cornell note-taking template and yearly goals). Evernote also has a desktop app, so you can sync and view your notes from your laptop, phone or tablet!

Forest 

If you’re looking for a fun way to stop checking TikTok or Instagram while studying for midterms, download Forest! Forest has a unique way of keeping you on task by planting seeds and growing plants when you don’t check your phone. In just 30 minutes of focused studying, you can transform your seeds to a full-grown plant on the app. You’re going to be so invested in your adorable little forests that you’ll be able to easily resist those tempting distractions while making progress on midterm studying!

Regardless of which apps you choose to try out, best of luck on all your midterms!  While this week may seem extra challenging than most, remember to always keep your mental wellbeing in mind by connecting with loved ones and setting aside time for self-care. 

Anya is a first-year economics major at UCLA and is a feature-writer for Her Campus. When she's not writing, she loves to scuba dive, go makeup shopping, and indulge in black sesame ice cream. She's obsessed with Disney movies and will 100% cry when watching Finding Nemo.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.