6 Reasons Why We Support the Scrunchie Revival

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Scrunchies have been around for a long, long time. They were popular back in the 80’s and the 90’s, but then they died out of the hair accessory world when thin black bands came into favor. Until now. That’s right, the scrunchie is back people! Love it or hate it, it has been revived.

I used to be a scrunchie skeptic myself. I thought that scrunchies looked like something a child would wear in their hair, or like something out or a bad aerobics class. However, that opinion has changed. You know what changed it? Being gifted a scrunchie and actually trying it out for myself for the first time since childhood. It was a magical experience, and I’ve been on the scrunchie train ever since. In case you still aren’t on team scrunchie, here are a few reasons that may make you change your mind.

1. They work well for both thick and thin hair

2. They have the ability to hold more hair without breaking

3. They have really, really pretty designs

4. They never pull your hair or get tangled in it

5. They’re popping up on runways, so you’re basically a model

6. They look like cool bracelets when you wear them on your wrist

Photos courtesy of Free people

I'm a small town-raised girl exploring the jungle that is Los Angeles. I'm currently in my third year of studying English Literature and Psychology at UCLA, with hopes of minoring in la lingua di Italiano. Along with being an HC contributor, my works have been published across other magazines, websites, and blogs, including LOCALE Magazine, Healthy UCLA (Mind Well section), and Her Blank Canvas. I am the founder of the non-profit Warm Hearts to Warm Hands, which teaches people the skill of knitting in exchange for an article of clothing made using their new skill, whch is then donated to local homeless shelters. I have an immense love for Pride and Prejudice, hot tea, and the human body.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.