1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
HCM Design

5 Influential Women Who Are Redefining Body Positivity

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Society’s expectations of women’s bodies have always been unrealistic and damaging to the mental/physical health of women everywhere. These expectations have led to systematic sexism; if a woman is unable to adhere to the size zero, blonde and hairless standard, then she is thought of as less than. 

Even today living in 2020 PC culture, these expectations still remain strong, and the pressure of women to conform to this ideal body type continues to persist. Although the body positivity movement has a long way to go, there are influential women within it who are making it their mission to change society’s perception of women’s bodies.

With that being said, here are 5 amazing women who are using their celebrity platforms to promote body positivity:

Jameela Jamil

Jameela Jamil is the ultimate body positive queen as she advocates for the self-empowerment and confidence of women and girls all around the world. She works to remove the stigma of fat-shaming and unrealistic weight expectations of women through her podcast “Tomorrow I Weigh.” She also travels to speak at universities around the nation, all while fighting the good fight against tummy teas and appetite supressants. 

Lizzo

In addition to her music, Lizzo’s body positive brand has also helped her rise to fame! She celebrates women of all shapes and sizes through her award-winning music and awe-inspiring confidence. She famously slays all of her Instagram posts through the love of her own body and her ability to drown out her haters. 

Billie Eilish

Billie Ellish refuses to adhere to society’s unrealistic standards of what women should look like. She takes back her agency through fashion on her own terms. She chooses to dress in baggy, loose fitting clothes to keep the world and its judgements at bay. Even at a young age, Billie Eilish stands as a powerful force at the forefront of the body-positive movement. 

Ashley Graham

Ashley Graham is the unsung hero for women recovering from pregnancy everywhere. Her brutually honest posts about her pregnancy and postpartum experiences inspire women to feel more confident about their own bodies. She consistently reminds women everywhere to be proud of what they look like because owning who you are is the first step toward self-love. 

Selena Gomez

After her lupus diagnosis, Seleba Gomez experienced some weight gain due to her medication. After receiving hate online and experiencing fat-shaming, she became an advocate for female body positivity. She now uses her celebrity reach and platform to set records straight about societial expectations and how damaging they can be, and she continues to produce music and pursue her passions. Selena is a constant reminder to never let hate get in the way of living your life the way you want to live it. 

These influential women remind us every day that size never determines worth. These strong and successful women emphasize the importance of self-love, and I think they stand as a symbol to be proud of who we are. 

Esther Kang is an English major at UCLA who hopes to pursue a career in broadcast journalism. In her free time, she loves to spend the day inside watching Netflix, spending time with friends and exploring the Los Angeles area.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.