Wellness

5 Immunity-Boosting Smoothies That Will Help You Stay Nutrient-Rich While Social Distancing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

The last few weeks of social distancing have been hard on many. Staying in one confined space for days on end can make life start to feel like a fishbowl. However, there are basic functions that we need to maintain in order for us to stay happy and healthy. These functions include exercise and physical movement in order for us to keep our bodies in shape and feeling strong like the temples they are. Eating your share of fruits and vegetables is important not only for maintaining your shape/figure, but it is also important for helping your body to be more prepared to fight off any potential virus or illnesses. The nutrients you put into your body are important because they keep it running like a well-oiled machine, and the better condition your body is kept in, the better you will feel physically, mentally and emotionally. Speaking of nutrients, what better way to put them into your body than blending them up and drinking them? Here are five immunity boosting smoothies to try to stay nutrient rich while social distancing: 

Super C Strawberry Smoothie

This smoothie is packed with vitamin C and potassium, which are super essential to preventing colds and boosting your immune system!

The Cold Buster Smoothie

This cold busting smoothie is filled with natural antiviral/bacterial ginger, immune-boosting vitamin C like oranges and mango, and natural anti-inflammatory properties of ground tumeric. Although the Greek yogurt aspect of the smoothie is great for providing your gut with probiotics, I would recommend substituting it with a non-dairy option or omitting it entirely as it can aggravate mucous and inflame sore throats.

Ultimate Sweet Green Smoothie

This green smoothie is great for detoxifying and sourcing fiber. The mango, pineapple and lemon juice are amazing for providing vitamin C. This particular smoothie with ginger and banana is also good for potassium and anti-viral properites. 

Omega 3 Rich Avocado Smoothie

The avocado and spinach additions to this smoothie are the true superstars as they provide rich omega 3s. According to Healthline, omega 3s can even reduce anxiety and depression, possess anti-inflamatory properties and lessen the risk of heart disease.

Antioxidant Abundant Berry Smoothie

The antioxidants within this smoothie are provided by the mixed berries. Antioxidants are especially great for you because of their ability to reduce the risk/presence of free radicals. Free radicals are cells within your body that can pose risks of diseases like cancer, and they are created through environmental and external stressors. They also provide the body with fiber, vitamin C and can help with inflamation.

Give these smoothies a try to keep your body fueled with the necessary vitamins and nutrients! Plus, they might even make quarantine a little bit more interesting. 

Esther Kang is an English major at UCLA who hopes to pursue a career in broadcast journalism. In her free time, she loves to spend the day inside watching Netflix, spending time with friends and exploring the Los Angeles area.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.