This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

In this day and age, it’s hard to escape anxious feelings. As someone who has been living with anxiety for a long time, I know it can be difficult to find ways to calm those nerves. I’ve been told that regular exercise and a healthy diet will help reduce my anxiety which I believe is true, but I have come across some other activities that help me calm my nerves and may work for others as well.

Create a Spotify Playlist

One of the things that bring me the greatest joy is my classic rock playlist on Spotify. Its my favorite genre of music because it reminds me of my childhood and it’s the music my parents listen to. One thing I like to do when I’m feeling anxious is create a playlist that reflects my mood or the mood I want to feel. This not only gives me something fun and creative to do but it also makes me feel like I have completed something, and I have a finished product to listen to afterward. 

Go Thrifting 

There is nothing wrong with a little retail therapy. Over the past year or two, thrifting has become more popular as various retro fashion trends come back. I got into it over the past year as something fun to do. I like going in with an open mind, not expecting to find anything because when I do, it makes my day. This helps when I’m feeling anxious because there is always so much to look at in these stores – it takes my mind off of whatever I was worried about, and I’m able to focus on finding some potentially cool things.

Lay in the Sun

Another way I like to calm my nerves is by spending time in the sun. There’s no better feeling than spending a few hours near the pool or at the beach basking in the sun. Tanning is also a great time to catch up on things – I like to spend this time doing homework, reading a book or even writing. Laying out also allows me to get some much-needed vitamin D. Getting outside, in general, is always good when I’m feeling anxious because it allows for me to clear my head and get some fresh air. I don’t know about you, but I always feel much better after I get a nice tan.

Do Some Self-Care

This may be very cliché but it’s always a good idea to do some self-care whether it’s painting your nails or doing a face mask. This could even include going for a walk because exercise can — a lot of the time — help people calm their nerves. Not only would a walk call for exercise, but it would also give you a change of scenery which could be nice. One of my biggest self-care tips is to drink lots of water. I never used to drink water, but I have gotten into the habit of continuously drinking water throughout the day to keep me hydrated and feeling good about myself. One of my other favorite things to do when I’m feeling anxious is taking a hot bath. There is something so relaxing about soaking in a tub with a fresh candle burning, a face mask on, and a good book in my hand or music in my ears. 

Watch a Comfort Movie 

Nothing makes me more relaxed than seeing Julie Andrews on screen. The Sound of Music, The Princess Diaries, and Mary Poppins are three of my favorite movies. I love watching musicals, especially featuring Julie Andrews because I absolutely love her voice. Some other musicals that comfort me when I’m anxious are Mamma Mia! and Grease. I love watching movies that never fail to make me smile. Sometimes I even like to re-watch my favorite TV series, Friends and Gilmore Girls. Home renovation shows such as Fixer Upper are also my go-to when I’m feeling anxious because I find the whole process fascinating and relaxing – and Joanna Gains is literally an icon. I find that watching some of my favorite movies and shows really helps calm my nerves because there’s nothing more comforting than spending some time with my favorite characters.

Get Creative 

A lot of people tell me to get active when I’m feeling anxious, but that doesn’t always work for me. Rather than going for a jog, I like to get my mind active and create something that could potentially inspire me. I could spend hours creating new Pinterest boards to give me all sorts of inspiration. There is something so satisfying about creating a mood or vision board because it gives me something to look forward to. I also just love being creative and designing in any way I can so creating these boards or little projects gives me something fun to do. You could also use Pinterest to find a potential DIY project. Arts and crafts is a very great way to calm your nerves and is a great outlet when you’re feeling anxious. 

Everyone is different, especially when it comes to how they deal with their mental health. I hope this article helps at least one person who shares the same anxious feelings and they share their ways of coping with such heavy nerves. It’s important that we don’t hide behind our anxiety, and we share with others ways to continue to promote mental health in the best way possible.

Brianna is a student at the University of Central Florida, majoring in Event Management. When she's not at Disney, Bri is most likely creating a new Pinterest board or re-watching Friends. Her talents consist of taking INCREDIBLE candid photos and finishing an entire pint of Ben and Jerry's in one sitting.
UCF Contributor