jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

When Fall Feels SAD

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

You’re not the only one feeling the winter blues.

Anyone who knows me knows that I enthusiastically usher out summer and welcome the chill of Fall. With hockey season starting, thanksgiving coming up, and gingersnaps become readily available, what’s there not to love?

That would be seasonal affective disorder, or SAD for short.

Unfortunately, with cold weather comes shorter days and long nights, meaning fewer rays to go around. What this darkness means for a lot of people is that they become sad, moody, or even anxious. And, as much as I hate sweat and mosquito bites, I can be a delicate flower when it comes to the gloom of the fall and deep winter months. SAD, according to the Mayo Clinic, is a seasonal depression that occurs most commonly in fall and winter.

A quick browse on WebMD shows that SAD is a common disorder, with symptoms including behavioral changes, loss of interest, cravings, weight gain, persistent tiredness, and difficulty concentrating. I myself can check off every one of those symptoms; I drove past an Olive Garden the other day and was absolutely consumed by the desire to devour a serving of desire, despite being severely lactose intolerant.

Luckily for myself and the thousands of others annually affected by SAD, treatments exist to curb seasonal depression. Broad spectrum light therapy boxes let you soak up the rays missing from your day, and are particularly effective when combined with counseling or, if necessary, an antidepressant.

As always, UCF does have resources on main campus to maintain you’re mental health. Make an appointment with Counseling and Psychological Services if you’re feeling SAD or unstable.

Photo credit: Image 1, Image 2

Audi is a grad student pursuing am MFA in Poetry and Nonfiction. When not writing, she can be found watching terrible action movies, playing video games, or liking memes on Twitter.
UCF Contributor