This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

It’s 2021. Now is the perfect time to reflect on who you are and who you want to be. For many, the beginning of the new year represents a period of change and improvement. This can mean a lot of things: new goals, new hobbies or even a new wardrobe. Switching up your style is the best way to shine a spotlight on your personal growth. Next time you’re the star of a makeover montage, remember the following fashion tips:

Make a Statement 

What’s the point if you’re not dressed like the main character? Your new look should draw attention if you’re doing it right. Be bold. Do what you’re used to and turn it up to 11. Wear bright colors, mix fabrics and rock statement jewelry. Note: there are no rules in fashion. 

Try Something New

How would you describe your current style? Great — now think of the complete opposite of that. Experimenting is key to switching up your style. If you almost exclusively wear black, add a pop of color into your OOTD. If you’ve been living in sweats for months, throw on a dress or suit for the night. Reach for something you’ve never tried on before next time you’re at the store. Who knows? You might like it.

Do It on a Dime

That being said, shopping isn’t cheap, and money doesn’t grow on trees. I’m not telling you to blow your scholarships on new clothes. In fact, spend as little as you can. Try to buy secondhand through thrift stores or marketplace apps — especially if the pieces are out of your comfort zone. Not only will you save your wallet, but the environment as well. Take fashion risks, not financial risks. 

Don’t Do It Alone

Change can be terrifying, but you don’t need to face it alone. Friends can offer some much-needed emotional support and cheer you on throughout your style transformation. Ask someone you trust to pick out an outfit for you. Partake in a photoshoot or practice your runway walk. Good friends are like clothes — they always have your back.

Always Be Yourself

At the end of the day, it’s important to never lose sight of who you are. Trying on new clothes is one thing, but changing your entire personality is another. Learning to love yourself and adapting to the seasons are both critical components of self-growth. You can show that you are bold, beautiful and strong through your style.

As a fashion icon once said: “Out with the old, in with the new.” I hope this year brings about positive change in your life. If you’re feeling down, you can always change your outfit.

Brie (she/her) is a senior at the University of Central Florida studying literature, digital humanities and editing & publishing. In her free time, she enjoys watching movies, singing in the shower and taking care of her houseplants.
UCF Contributor