sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

The Secret to Being the Best Version of Yourself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Do you ever feel stuck or lost? Do you ever get stuck in ruts that make it hard to find inspiration and motivation? Does it sometimes feel like you’re not moving forward, or things aren’t going the way you want them to? Well, you’re not alone. Just like everyone else, I’ve felt stuck and jaded, usually during highly stressful periods in my life. A successful way I’ve found to handle this rut is to keep a daily journal.

Developing the habit of journaling can increase a person’s self-awareness. Taking an hour or two at the end of your day and reflecting on it will give you a chance to get to know yourself on a deeper level. According to a Stanford report published in 1996, “writing has critical connections to speaking,” and by journaling, we are speaking and looking into ourselves and our qualities. It can be an intimidating task at first, but as you become more comfortable with keeping a journal, you can really learn about yourself.

Here are two ways to start journaling:

Highs and Lows

In your journal, write about the emotions you felt that day. Think about your high, or the best part of your day, then think about your low, or the worst part of your day. By examining both the positive and negative aspects of your day, you can reflect and process your emotions. Ask yourself, “how did this make me feel?” and “why did it make me feel this way?” Journaling is a great way to improve your emotional intelligence and give you the opportunity to have a deeper connection not only with yourself but to others as well.

Goal Setting

Write it into existence! Writing down your goals and keeping track of it holds you accountable. Whether it’s to clean your room, or pass an upcoming test, writing it down in your journal can encourage you to get it done. After all, there’s nothing more satisfying than crossing out stuff on your to-do list! A tip I found helpful when goal setting is to think about your short- and long-term goals and plan for it! Ask yourself, “what do I have to do to achieve this?” Writing it down and strategizing makes it more real and motivates you into doing it!

Keeping a journal is such a helpful tool for your road to self-improvement and development. Writing a letter to yourself is essentially like having a conversation. The more you reflect and look inwards, the more you’ll learn about your best and worst qualities. Journaling will give you a chance to unburden your mind, see different perspectives, and become a more creative and motivated person. There are a lot of benefits to journaling, but don’t forget to have fun and experiment with it!

Images: 1,2,3

Lexa PM

UCF '22

n/a
UCF Contributor