Wellness

My Beef With Vegan Culture, From Your Favorite Plant-Based Eater

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Content Warning: This article talks about topics of food and diet culture which may be triggering for some readers. Reader discretion is advised.

When it comes to our bodies, and what is best for each individual one, we’re all totally different. When it comes to food specifically, there are so many factors that play a role in what we prefer and what serves our body’s unique needs. To make it even more complicated, these needs aren’t static. Our bodies change day-to-day, and, as a result, so will the fuel it requires. Because of this, many people have come to criticize diet culture. Personally, I feel a little iffy about this, because of course, there are diets out there that serve people in a way that’s healthy for them, are medically prescribed and so on. Those kinds of diets, the ones that allow people to be flexible and fuel their bodies in a way that makes them feel good, are mwah *chef’s kiss.* The diets I have a distaste for are the ones that are so restrictive that they leave people feeling like they can’t listen and respond to their body’s needs without breaking some set of arbitrary rules. There are several regimens that fall into this category, but I want to put one that I don’t hear criticized so often in the hot seat: veganism.

First, let’s get some things straight. Do I think it’s bad to be vegan? Hell no. Do I think a vegan diet can be a healthy option for some people? Hell yeah. Jordan, what makes you qualified at all to speak on this? Hey, good question! My plant-based eating stats are as follows: I went full vegetarian when I was 14, motivated mainly by my feelings about animal rights. Since then, I have eased more into the pescatarian category (I love a spicy tuna roll), which actually brings me to my next point. I don’t think that it’s wrong to tell people that “I’m a vegetarian” or whatever applies to you, but I do think it’s a shame that these labels have become so important to us. I think if we started to phase out these sort of restrictive, intimidating categories, we’d have a lot more people trying out plant-based eating, in addition to their normal style of eating.

The number of times that I’ve heard things like, “Oh, I’d love to go vegetarian, but I love chicken nuggets” or “I tried going vegan, but I just felt so tired all of the time” is pretty insane. If this is you, I want you to know that these feelings are 100% valid. Never, ever let anyone try to guilt you or pressure you into following a diet that doesn’t work for your body. It doesn’t make you any less of an animal lover, it doesn’t make you any less of an environmentalist and it definitely doesn’t make you less healthy. You know your own body best, and you have to listen to it. Honestly, this may be a controversial take, but I think if the communities of animal rights and environmental activists stopped pushing drastic diets onto people and started giving people the option to just replace a meal or two a week with a plant-based recipe, we would see a huge shift in impact. Sometimes when I tell people I’m vegetarian, I get that look: the one that’s sort of afraid I’m going to make them sit down and watch a sad whale documentary. And honestly, I don’t blame them. While I think the vegan community does have its roots in something well-intentioned, the thing as a whole has sort of turned into a gatekeep-y, exclusive club, when that’s literally the opposite of what it should be doing.

Here’s what it all boils down to for me: just like many other topics, there’s no right answer to this debate. Not one style of eating will work for everybody because every body is different in its own wonderfully unique way. The issues start to bubble up when those diets begin to control us rather than the other way around. Strict veganism can get in the way of aspects of life beyond just health and favorite foods, like connections to culture and family traditions. What we eat is sort of like a collage of our lives. It’s made up of favorite childhood snacks, recipes passed down through generations and memories made in the drive-thru line with our friends. At the end of the day, you know what’s best for your body. Whether that’s being vegan, being a fan of cheeseburgers or anything in between — it’s totally up to you. And if anyone judges you for it, you can send them to me.

Jordan Sammarco is a Biomedical Sciences major at the University of Central Florida, and is originally from the Jersey Shore. (Yes, like the TV show.) She is a vegetarian and passionate environmentalist/animal lover. Jordan spends her time listening to dad rock, obnoxiously laughing, and over-caffeinating herself.