jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

You may have clicked on this article questioning this title and why on Earth people should be sitting around looking at the sky more often. I am here to inform you that that is exactly what I am prescribing as the best way to escape the world for a little bit, and maybe even pretend you don’t live in it (the Zac Brown Band is now stuck in my head). You see, the world is always wanting us to keep moving, to keep busy, and to not ask questions, but what if we stopped to think more?  What if we allowed boredom to consume us every once in awhile? What if we looked at the sky more? What would our world look like?

The World Never Stops, We Never Stop

The world stops for nobody. We all live in a constant “go, go, go” kind of lifestyle, and we are always on edge for what we have to do next. We live in a state of mind where we never stop to take a second to breathe. In fact, if we were to ever slow down and pause, we probably wouldn’t even know what to do with ourselves. That’s how caught up most of us are in our day-to-day lives.

Even in life when we get the slightest opportunity to simply think for ourselves and be bored, we still choose to dodge it as quickly as possible. For example, when you wait in line for something you don’t pause to think on your thoughts, but rather you pull out your phone and simply read other people’s thoughts of the day. But what would happen if you chose to stand there and just be bored? You may be thinking, “I don’t want to be bored, nobody likes to be bored,” but what if I told you boredom is actually a good thing?

Boredom is actually its own gateway to being more intuitive, creative and even more successful. Your whole life could improve by simply allowing yourself to be simply bored. As you read on, you’ll see that we all need to try to focus a little bit more on thinking for ourselves, and a little bit less on allowing our phones, our hectic schedules or the people we associate ourselves with to think for us, because frankly, it’s consuming not only our lives but our minds.

The Cure to Boredom

Boredom is a surprisingly unique word that still has yet to be scientifically defined because it can have a variety of different interpretations. No one likes to be bored as it leads to feelings of restlessness and not knowing what to do with yourself, but you have to remember that having too much of anything is never a good thing, especially when you don’t know what to do when you’re bored. Luckily, there is a cure to boredom: curiosity. It is the driving factor between the boring definition of boredom and the “sky’s the limit” type of boredom. If you use your boredom with curiosity towards anything in your life, your potential could be limitless. Not only are you now thinking for yourself, but you are also applying your mind to new solutions as well. You enter a whole new creative realm once you connect curiosity to boredom. 

Is it Boredom or Untapped Potential? You Decide

So many people avoid boredom when in reality, it’s its own access to your very own untapped potential to construct new ideas, benefit your mental health or simply allow your mind to wander. We all need to put down our phones and allow ourselves to think outside the box, to ask questions and to never stop being curious. Our minds are so much more capable than we allow them to be, which is why I feel so strongly about needing to be bored more! 

By simply being bored, you are allowing yourself to be the intuitive, unique person you’ve always known you are. Another use for boredom is to benefit your well-being by allowing yourself to organize and compose your thoughts. Think for yourself. Create new ideas. Allow your mind to focus on what’s important to you.

Enable your mind to wander. Daydream more often. Let your mind run free! It can be a truly astounding feeling when you are able to sit back, relax and just contemplate on life. It is so vital to take it all in, admire your life, and let your mind simply be itself. We all need to look at the sky more and take a guess at what shapes the clouds are and be bored, as if the world was created as a place for us to enjoy rather than a place to keep us constantly busy.

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Sofi is currently the Director of Marketing & Publicity here at Her Campus UCF & is majoring in the College of Business Marketing program with a minor in Psychology. While focusing on school she is also a Sales Development Representative for Statusphere. She is obsessed with all things yellow, reading, Pink Floyd, It's Always Sunny in Philly and her orange cat Garfield! Her plans after graduation are still undetermined, as a variety of completely different things spark her interest! You can keep up with her Instagram @sofi.shirey.
UCF Contributor