What’s Up With The D’Amelios This Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Forget living under a rock: if you haven’t heard of the D’Amelio family, you’ve been living on a whole other planet. Considered to be the first family of TikTok, Charli D’Amelio brought fame to her family name when she became the first person to reach both 50 million and 100 million followers on TikTok. The rest is history: Dixie agreed to join TikTok after losing a bet to Charli, and then their parents, Heidi and Marc, joined the social media app not long after. The family then packed up their home in Connecticut to take advantage of all the opportunities that were calling them in Los Angeles.

Now, the D’Amelio name has become its own brand (specifically, D’Amelio Brands) and has definitely expanded the possibilities for all of their careers. Charli and Dixie have a clothing line at Hollister called Social Tourist, The D’Amelio Show has just wrapped season two, and the family has just bought a Norwalk condo for $1.2 million dollars. So what is going on with this trendy social media family?

Heidi and Charli Are In Competition

The biggest drama of season 2 of The D’Amelio Show was that Dixie didn’t always want to be in competition with Charli, so who would’ve predicted that Charli would actually have to worry about competing against her mom? Both Charli and Heidi are competing in this season of Dancing with the Stars

Apparently, Heidi has always wanted to be on Dancing with the Stars. She confessed on the Off the Vine with Kaitlyn Bristowe podcast that she had been doing everything in her power to try and get on the show for a year. It started with a video of Heidi and Charli dancing to “Fever,” and it came full circle when Heidi got to tell her mom two days before her passing that Heidi was on the show.

Even though it was something she always wanted, Heidi came in with an exit strategy. Now, the roles are reversed, because it’s with Charli’s encouragement that she never acted on those plans and has made it very far in the competition. Both of them are still competing, and the semi-finals are two weeks away. 

Dixie Has Been Diagnosed with Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder

As a girl, you would think that I’d have heard of this before, but I definitely had to look it up. Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder, or PMDD, is a psychological condition that is classified as a mood disorder that has a debilitating effect on everyday life with symptoms such as mood swings, a feeling of hopelessness, anxiety, irritability, feeling overwhelmed, and difficulty concentrating. Apparently, it affects one in twenty women and the causes still aren’t fully understood.

Dixie details in a post that PMDD has made her feel like she didn’t “want to be here anymore” and that she never felt “so low.” There were some hints of these symptoms in season two of The D’Amelios, in an interview where Noah Beck and Dixie are talking about their relationship. Apparently, it has gotten to the point where Beck takes note of when Dixie will be menstruating and attributes that to her mood. At least this diagnosis offers Dixie an answer as to why she has mood swings.

Charli Is Exploring Music

It has been pretty much teased all of season two that Charli wanted to pursue music, but was afraid of Dixie’s reaction. There would be clips of Charli working with a vocal coach, recording bits of a song, and discussing strategy when it came to her music. The whole song and music video dropped at the end of The D’Amelios season finale, and I’ll confess that I’ve had it on repeat. 

Charli seems to appreciate the opportunity to pursue music. In the finale episode, the audience is given insight into the making of her music video. What does she really love about it? The ability to step into another character and tell people a story. The story she tells in “if you ask me to” is about a girl who wants a boy who is in a relationship with someone else. 

The D’Amelios sure have a lot going on, and I think all the things above will probably be detailed in season three of The D’Amelios (if they have one). It’s a reality show that really surprised me, and I look forward to seeing what they do next. What I think would be really cool is if Charli was able to dance contemporary to her own song on Dancing with the Stars, or for Heidi to actually make it to the semi-finals.

Kristi currently and MFA candidate at the University of Central Florida studying Creative Writing. A former resident at the Atlantic Center for the Arts, she loves pop culture, food, and the humanity of people. When she isn't writing, you can find her reading a book, spending time with loved ones, or going on and on about how cute dogs are. Or, specifically, how her dog Damian is the most handsome angel boy.