I Didn’t Know September Was Suicide Awareness Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

It seemed that throughout the month of September, my news feed was filled with pumpkin spice latte reviews and the newest editions to the Kardashian clan. As much fun as those articles were to read, I was unaware that the month of September was more than just celebrating the newest fall fashions and pumpkin flavored foods. Apparently, September is Suicide Awareness Month, and as big and important of an issue as suicide is, I seldom saw anything promoting or bringing awareness to it throughout the month of September. The only thing I really saw was one Facebook notification. It just confused me that amongst all of the celebrity drama and newest makeup trends, there was no effort to bring attention to this important cause. I even mentioned that September was Suicide Awareness Month to my friends, and they too either didn’t know or didn’t see much promoting it. In today’s world it seems that mental health is beginning to become a serious and important discussion. Especially when dealing with teens and young adults. It seems while the rest of the world was caught up with pumpkin spice and everything nice, they were unaware that this month was also trying to bring to the forefront the recognition and discussion about mental health awareness.

As college students, many of us can relate to going through at least one hard semester during our time in college. Whether it be because of a hard class, or other personal reasons, college isn’t always fun and games and the stress can affect anyone’s mental health. Many have struggled with the continuous pressure to excel in classes and daily life, and it can honestly take a toll on many students. That is why it is important that we bring attention to topics like suicide and mental health. It is estimated that 60% of college students showed some indicators for depression, and 49% said that they felt hopeless. It’s indicators and symptoms like these that can lead college students and others to feel depressed or even suicidal. According to the national data on campus suicide and depression, more teens and young adults are dying by suicide than any other medical illness (Sabatke 2016). It’s statistics like this, that show the impact mental health is having on college students and young adults alone. Since suicide affects so many young adults, then shouldn’t it be at the top of our news feed above celebrity gossip and fashion tips? I believe that it’s ignoring issues like this that cause the stigma and overall negative conations to form about mental health. It also leaves people unknowledgeable about suicide prevention and could have negative implications on those who are truly struggling.

Suicide is an epidemic because so many are too afraid to speak out, and there shouldn’t be a reason for them to be afraid.  People who deal with mental health problems are sometimes seen as weak, but that can’t be further from the truth. They are some of the strongest and most fervent people you will ever meet, and it is time they are treated as such.  Although September has come to a close, the discussion on suicide awareness and mental health should not. We need to continue the discussion and eradicate the negative stigmas that have plagued mental health for years. If you or anyone you know is struggling and having a very difficult time, please do not hesitate to ask for help. As much as we fear the judgement of others, sometimes simply talking to someone or finding a shoulder to cry on can mean a huge difference in your own or someone else’s life. I believe that Kate Middleton said it brilliantly when she stated, “mental health is just as important as physical health and deserves the same quality of support.”

Here are some helpful numbers:

UCF Counseling and Psychological Services: (407) 823-2811

24 Hour Crisis Line: (407) 425-2624 

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255

Resources:

Sabatke, Sarah. “Mental Health on College Campuses: A Look at the Numbers.” USA Today, Gannett Satellite Information Network, 30 Jan.2016,college.usatoday.com/2016/01/30/mental-health-by-the-numbers