kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How To Avoid Getting Sick in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Have you ever sat in any of your classes and throughout the lecture all you can hear are sniffles and coughs? It’s most likely because the cold and flu season has finally arrived, and most of the school has already caught the dreadful fall plague. Nobody wants to be stuck with a runny nose, sore throat or a contagious cough. Being sick is not fun!

I’ve spent more time in the hospital over the past three years in college than I did in my entire twenty-two years of existence. I used to not have the greatest diet, I never took daily vitamins and I always spent sleepless nights working on homework. All of these bad habits caused me to become sick every month with sinus infections, colds, flu, and I even had a kidney infection (not fun). Now, I am in my final year of college, I have completely changed my lifestyle and have yet to catch a cold or any other sickness (knock on wood that I don’t get sick after this is published).

It’s literally a zombie apocalypse on campus whenever cold and flu season hits, so if you’re wondering how to be prepared and avoid getting sick, check out my tips below! 

Take a daily vitamin.

Every morning or night (it’s your personal preference) make sure you take a daily multivitamin. Daily multivitamins are a great way to make up for nutritional shortfalls and it’s a simple solution to naturally boost your health. Multivitamins can also improve your energy and immune system. Make sure you are taking a vitamin that has Vitamin C because it is one of the biggest immune system boosters. If you’re bad at swallowing pills like myself, try picking up a gummy multivitamin! Not only do they taste great, but they also make it easier for you to consume.

Hand sanitizer is your best friend.

To ensure you are avoiding as many germs as possible during the flu season, keep hand sanitizer on you at all times! The ethyl alcohol that is found in the hand sanitizers is proven to be an excellent germ killer. Hand sanitizer is also more accessible than sinks. Try carrying a small bottle in your backpack or your purse for when you are on the go! Whenever you do have access to a sink, wash your hands thoroughly 10-15 times a day to get rid of germs. Also, make sure not to rub your eyes, nose or mouth because this is often how germs spread.

Get enough sleep.

Sleep is the greatest medicine of all! My fellow collegiettes, I am well aware there aren’t enough hours in a day to study, go to work and of course, socialize with your friends, but it’s important to always get a good amount of sleep. Even a nice nap can always help when you’re feeling under the weather. My junior year of college I was taking 15 credit hours per semester while balancing a full-time job, having a horrible eating schedule and sleeping only 2-3 hours every night. I ended my junior year in and out of the walk-in clinic and ER and being on every type of antibiotic. In order to function at your best, 7-9 hours is the recommended amount. Pulling all-nighters can happen, but try not to make them a habit. Sleep helps to rest the body and boosts the immune system, so make sure you are getting enough sleep!

Stay hydrated!

Drink water, water and more water! Drinking water and staying hydrated throughout the day is going to help your body fight infections. Drinking too much coffee, soda or juice can actually dehydrate you and weaken your body. When you drink tons of water you are staying hydrated, boosting your immune system and flushing out toxins. It’s harder to get sick when your body feels ready for the fight!

Avoid people who are sick.

If this one wasn’t obvious enough, stay away from people who are coughing, sneezing or showing any other cold or flu symptoms! It’s okay to spend time away from your roommate(s) if they aren’t feeling well. If someone in class is coughing or sneezing, move to a different seat, I promise it’s okay. If your significant other or friends are begging you to bring them chicken noodle soup and medicine, drop it at their door, don’t stay with them too long! College means being in a friendly atmosphere with many students, so sharing comes naturally. But, taking care of yourself comes first. It’s really not worth catching a cold or flu, so stay away from the contagious!

During cold and flu season please keep in mind my tips, stay healthy and don’t forget to avoid those germy people!

Cady is a senior at the University of Central Florida who is majoring in Writing & Rhetoric and minoring in Mass Communications. She's a lover of green tea, dogs and all things fashion. Cady has been writing her entire life and she hopes to pursue a career as a lifestyle magazine writer. If you want to follow her on social media, you can find her on Instagram and Facebook!
UCF Contributor