Wellness > Mental Health

The Five Minute Journal: The Tool That Helps Me Live a More Positive Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

If you haven’t already seen the thousands of aesthetically pleasing Instagram photos of The Five Minute Journal, don’t worry — I’m here to fill you in on all the hype. The Five Minute Journal is way more than a prop for an Instagram photo (although the photos do come out cute AF). This journal is a simple and effective guide to living a more positive life. Now, the journal isn’t a magic formula towards positivity, but it has personally allowed me to appreciate the little things, step out of my comfort zone, and practice self-love.  

If you’re the type of person who has tried journaling but found yourself giving up two weeks later (AKA me), this journal is for you. It literally takes a total of ten minutes out of your day. Five minutes in the morning and five minutes at night. It’s the first thing I pick up in the morning and the last thing I do before bed.

To break it down, The Five Minute Journal consists of daily motivational quotes, short writing prompts and daily affirmations. It may seem simple, but trust me, it’s extremely effective. In the mornings, I read my daily quote, count my blessings, practice self-affirmations, and focus my attention on the positive aspects of my day. Yes, all in five minutes! Then, at night I take another five minutes to reflect on my day by answering a few short writing prompts.

Reserving those ten minutes per day for my journal has allowed me to view life from a more positive perspective. On days where I’m in a funk, writing in my Five Minute Journal completely shifts my entire attitude for the day. Instead of dwelling on what didn’t go right, I focus on all of the positives in my life. Being able to physically write down what I am grateful for along with my daily affirmations has given me the ability to create a positive change from within. Not only have I become more positive, but I’ve also let my self-confidence, gratitude and happiness shine through my life.

Growth, change, gratitude and self-love can be difficult, but my commitment to The Five Minute Journal has served as the perfect tool to take action and positively change my life.

Remember that The Five Minute Journal is not a magic formula. It’s a simple positivity tool used to guide you to find the power within to take action in your life. 

You can purchase The Five Minute Journal on Amazon or Intelligent Change

With aspirations of pursuing a career in digital marketing, Valerie is studying Business Marketing and Mass Media at the University of Central Florida. She is an affordable fashion blogger and content creator on Instagram, TikTok, and her website (http://valstyled.com/). She can always be found at the nearest coffee shop or thrifting for her online reselling business, Poshvall on the Poshmark app. Keep up with her on Instagram: @_valerieescobar_
UCF Contributor