stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Do You Even Lift? Why You Shouldn’t Be Afraid to Lift With the Guys

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Walking into the UCF gym may elicit many different immediate feelings and observations. The first you may notice is how much you would like to finally take that rock climbing class so you can climb the awesome rock wall located in the very front. The second may be that Subway has gone out of business or that the line to swipe your ID card to gain entrance is way longer than it should be. Then you may walk into the main room on the top floor to look over the rails at the large amount of guys on the first floor weights area. This last observation is one that bothers me for a few reasons.

The population of the first floor area is almost always 90 percent male. While this is fine because males are entitled to work out and utilize the equipment as they like, it is not fine that women may feel intimidated or unwelcome to do the same. The men are usually occupying the area closest to the weight racks, so it may be difficult to get the weights that you need along with the appropriate space to use them. It is also kind of embarrassing to be the only girl in the area and be using 10 pound weights while the guys around you are lifting 35 pound weights, so it may feel as if you are weak or incapable in comparison. These feelings however, are not rooted in truth.  I have personally felt this way before when I used to lift weights with my dad at the gym. In the beginning I was unsure of myself and how to use the equipment and machines. He taught me how to use them as well as exercises he learned in the military and how to do a correct bicep curl. Working out with him gave me confidence to feel like I belonged there and that I was welcome to use the weights just like the men were. Over time I felt confident enough to go off on my own to start on the machines or exercises. This shows that the amount of weight you lift or how many reps you can do does not determine who you are or your capability to be and feel strong. Fitness is a journey that each person takes on for themselves to be healthier and happier (as your high school health class will tell you, endorphins are released in the brain during exercise), and that journey should not be hindered or derailed by non-inclusive vibes from your own perceptions, those of people you know, or from the people near you in the gym.

The thing is that we all have our own insecurities, whether it be about your singing ability or how building Ikea furniture gets you every time. So it’s no surprise that just like you may be intimidated to be among the built guys, that other girls and guys are too. Even the guys who are lifting or benching large amounts of weight may feel that they aren’t lifting enough or be embarrassed that they don’t lift as much as their friend does. They may not admit this often or at all, but I can attest that this is true from my conversations with guy friends and relatives.

I think that there is also a common misconception that weight training is something that women shouldn’t do because it will make their bodies bulk up and therefore they will not be traditionally “feminine.” It doesn’t make you more masculine to weight train and there are numerous studies that support its benefits for the body. Forbes’ article “The Health Benefits of Weightlifting and the New Science That Supports Strength Building” lists that the benefits include an increase in brain usage, muscle tone, and bone density, among many others.  You can also control the shape and tone of your body based on the exercises and machines that you train with, so it’s up to you what your overall look and feel will be based on exercises, diet, and genetics. So if bettering your body and mind is not “feminine,” then drop that definition and write a new one.

Embrace your fears and insecurities by going into that weight room and facing them. Also know that it takes a little (or a lot) of courage to do so and that supporting yourself and others in achieving fitness goals will help you gain confidence to pick up that 10 pounder with pride and a smile.

Source: Wilcox, Julie. “The Health Benefits Of Weightlifting And The New Science That Supports Strength Building.” Forbes. Forbes Magazine, 31 May 2012. Web. 04 Feb. 2017.

Both picture credits to UCF Recreation and Wellness Center

Sydney is a senior Psychology major at the University of Central Florida who is an old soul and a realistic dreamer. She loves hole-in-the-wall eateries, latin dancing, musicals, and witty humor. La La Land is one of her new favorite movie musicals and is definitely worth all of the Academy Award buzz. She has been writing all of her life and has recently decided to pursue it as more than just a hobby. This is her debut writing for a publication. Her future plans include traveling and experiencing other cultures, writing, continually learning, and trying the best tiramisu that the world has to offer.
UCF Contributor