Wellness

Creating Your Ideal Morning Routine in 5 Easy Steps

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

From The 5 AM Club by Robin Sharma to Good Morning, Good Life by Amy Landino, every productivity and lifestyle influencer swears by having a morning routine. And we all acknowledge the importance of them, but how do we build one that works with our bodies and will be easy to stick to consistently? I’m not even gonna lie, I absolutely do not wake up at 5 a.m., and sometimes not even 6 a.m., but I have learned a thing or two about how to start your day off in the right mindset to have your best and most productive day!

Wake Up and Get Energized 

The first step in your morning routine should be something to get you up and out of bed, and keep you from crawling back in it! This can be things like opening your curtains, making your bed, going on a walk, or taking a cold shower. This also includes the tip used in almost every morning routine YouTube video ever: for the love of God, please don’t get on your phone right when you wake up! I used to disregard this for the longest time because I always made the argument that I used Instagram and YouTube for inspiration, but in reality, I was just giving my first thought and actions of the day to someone else’s life. If you’re more of a morning person, you can also get in your exercise and workouts here like I do! Personally, I know that if I wait until the afternoon to work out, it’s just not going to happen. The most important part of this area is simply getting energized and excited for the rest of your morning!

Take Care of Yourself First

Next is self-care; you should be taking care of yourself first, before giving any attention to the to-do list lurking on your desk. This can include daily habits such as your morning skincare routine, brushing your teeth, or taking a shower if you don’t already do so at night. I also like to start off the morning with a large glass of water, my morning tea or coffee, and a nice healthy breakfast! This time is all about taking care of your body!

Get in the Right State of Mind

Now is the time to sort out your thoughts, and start with getting into the right headspace for a positive and productive day. Habits you can incorporate into this category could be things such as reading, listening to music, journaling or breathwork. My go-to in this area is writing four things in my daily journal: three things I’m grateful for, three positive affirmations, my power list, and other to-do lists if I have the time. This is the time to nourish your mind and cultivate the mindset you need to take on the day. 

Tip: Rather than creating one general to-do list, I like to create my Power List, and then a separate task list. The Power List, made popular by 75 Hard creator Andy Friscella, is a list of 5 critical tasks that must get done today. As long as you get those 5 tasks done, you can consider that day a success! Then, and only then, can you move on to your smaller task list, if you still have the energy to do so. This helps to ensure that you don’t get overwhelmed by a never-ending to-do list, and it makes you feel more accomplished once you finally get to cross off those five critical tasks. 

Set Yourself Up for a Focused and Intentional Day

Now is finally the time to start being intentionally productive and looking over your goals for the day and week! Here you can begin to time block your day according to your top priorities and set intentions. I personally like to read over and reflect on my progress on my yearly, monthly and weekly goals at this time, and assess what I have accomplished and what I could have done a little better. After I get ready and get my day planned out, I’m ready to start knocking things off of my to-do list!

Consistency is Key

We’ve all heard the classic “it takes 21 days to form a habit,” but that can often seem a bit daunting when you’re stressed or overwhelmed. Personally, my anxiety likes to turn “it’s only 21 days” into “that’s three whole weeks, practically a month!” So, what I recommend is committing to this for only seven days — one week — and then reflecting on how you feel at the end. Chances are, if you’ve stuck to your new routine all week, you’re going to notice changes in your mindset and productivity!

So sit down, grab a pen, and draft up your ideal morning routine! I guarantee after one week you’ll understand the hype you’re hearing from all of your favorite influencers, and you’ll feel so much better in the end!

Here’s my morning routine, for anyone who’s interested.

6:30 a.m.: Wake Up

No Phone

Open Curtains 

Make Bed 

Brush Teeth

7:00 a.m.: Have a Big Glass of Water 

Take Pre-Workout & Pump

Finish a Killer Workout 

8:00 a.m.: Morning Skincare Routine

Drink More Water 

Have My Morning Coffee

Eat a Nutritious Breakfast

8:30 a.m.: Read My Devotionals

Journal (Includes: Gratitude, Affirmations, and Power List)

9:00 a.m.: Plan Out My Day

Look Over My Goals

Get Ready for the Day

Katelyn is currently a sophomore at UCF working towards a B.A. in Health Sciences. Besides having an avid love for fitness and nutrition, Katelyn loves to frequently travel, jam out at concerts, and read stacks upon stacks of books. One day she hopes to work as a PA in dermatology and aesthetic medicine while simultaneously implementing her love for holistic living and wellness into her blogging and content creation. A few of her favorite things include local coffee shops, strolls with her pup downtown, and sun showers.
UCF Contributor