nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

6 Ways to Kickstart Your Day Without Coffee

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

There are people who can wake up with a smile on their face looking like sleeping beauty. I am not one of those people. Usually I need an hour before I can get a smile on my face, and there are days that I instinctively look for coffee in my cup. Those days have been numbered for me, because I don’t want to be an addict, and there were days the acidity of coffee upset my stomach. As a result, I know how to wake myself up without drinking coffee, even if the bittersweet smell alone does it for me.

Drink Room Temperature Water

I wake up feeling dehydrated, and I’ve learned that cold water is not the way to go. Even though I initially thought that cold water would make me feel more awake, there was an article on BlackDoctor.org that disagreed with me. The reason is that the blood in our stomachs prefer things that are similar in temperature, so the general shock that comes with the cold water will cause your blood to temporarily shy away. The room temperature is closer to the temperatures in our bodies, which is why it is better for us. That also explains why the French don’t put ice in their drinks.

Sunlight

The sunlight streaming through the blinds in my bedroom has always been the sure-fire way to take me up, which is why I’ve opted for curtains. But when I really want to wake up, I let the sunlight in, which reduces the production of melatonin in the brain, increases the amount of serotonin, and provides Vitamin D for natural energy.

Exercise

Boxing has been my preferred method of exercise as of late. Cardio increases your blood flow, and in turn you’ll be wide awake and your brain will be high on all the feel-good endorphins. This also takes away the restless side effect of coffee, which means you can sit still and focus for your first morning meeting

Cold Shower

It does not sound appealing at all, but I promise it works. Cold water has the ability to activate the parasympathetic nervous system, also known as the system involved with fight-or-flight. As a result, metabolic rate increases and fatigue is transformed into energy that allows you to be wide-awake.

Breakfast

The most important meal of the day is typically composed of fruit, Greek yogurt, and eggs, and there’s a reason for that. Fruit has natural sugars, which means that even though you’re awake, you won’t experience the immediate crash once the sugar has been worn out. Eggs and Greek yogurt are a great way of starting your day for a protein boost, which take longer to break down, which provide for an energy source that lasts longer.

Carbohydrates should be avoided, since it’s a form of energy that burns fast, which leads to crashing sooner, just like caffeine.

Playlist of Happy Songs

When I get in the car, I have a playlist of favorite songs that I belt out to at the top of my lungs. The reason it makes me happy is because music has the ability to trigger dopamine levels in the brain, which makes my day seem a bit more exciting. 

Kristi currently and MFA candidate at the University of Central Florida studying Creative Writing. A former resident at the Atlantic Center for the Arts, she loves pop culture, food, and the humanity of people. When she isn't writing, you can find her reading a book, spending time with loved ones, or going on and on about how cute dogs are. Or, specifically, how her dog Damian is the most handsome angel boy.
UCF Contributor