Wellness

6 Ways To Bounce Back Quickly After Being Sick

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

One of the most annoying things that can happen when you least expect it is catching a cold or the flu. You wake up one morning with a scratchy throat and think, “oh crap!” As the days go on you begin to feel the rest of the cold and flu symptoms approach. A runny nose, chills from your fever and an obnoxious cough that can’t be suppressed. You’ve caught a cold or the flu and now you’re stuck dealing with it until it leaves your body. Want to know how to recover quickly? Read my tips on how to bounce back quickly from being sick below.

1. Get Enough Rest!

I can’t say this enough, but please get some rest while you’re recovering! Sleep is the greatest medicine of all. I know you feel terrible and your symptoms may keep you up at night, but ask your doctor or pharmacist to prescribe you something to suppress your symptoms. You’re probably going to miss class and/or work and other obligations, but you shouldn’t be focused on those things. Right now getting better should be your only priority. Your body needs to rest so it can fight off the virus and help you strengthen your immune system. Nap during the day, sleep through the night and your illness will be on it’s way to its next victim.

2. Keep Up With Your Hygiene.

One of the most important tips for a quick recovery is making sure you aren’t letting yourself go. By that, I mean make sure you are bathing daily, keeping up with your skin care regime and taking care of your body on the outside. This may sound strange, but it’s actually pretty easy to forget about your hygiene while you’re feeling sick. If you are feeling too weak to stand in a shower, try taking a hot bubble bath. Another great tip is to do a nasal rinse while you are in the shower. The steam will open up your airways and you’ll finally be able to breathe. Don’t forget to moisturize your skin, especially around your nose! The constant need to blow your nose has most likely caused your nose to become red, irritated and flaky. Maintaining proper hygiene will help speed up the process of recovery.

3. Hot Tea is Your Best Friend!

Hot tea is one of the best forms of medicine when you’re recovering from a cold or flu. Green, Ginger and Chamomile are a few of the endless types of tea that benefit your body. Hot tea is perfect when you are getting over your illness because it soothes irritated sinuses and lungs and helps relax a sore throat. If you aren’t the biggest fan of the taste of tea, try adding honey or a splash of almond milk. Lemons can also make a great addition to your tea. Try to drink at least one cup of tea a day, but of course the more the merrier. Also, make sure you are drinking decaf tea so you can get enough rest!

4. Take a Breath of Fresh Air.

Going outside may sound like the worse thing to do when you aren’t feeling well, but fresh air is actually really good for you! I’m not saying to go run a marathon or do some type of vigorous activity, but simply sitting outside on your patio or balcony works perfectly. If you can’t make it out the front door, simply open the windows in your home to dramatically help you breathe. You could also go to a local park to sit and enjoy nature. Enjoying the outdoors instead of sitting in your house full of germs is just what you need to help you recover.

5. Stay Hydrated!

Staying hydrated is one of the most important factors in your path to recovery. Drink as much water as you can handle, gulp down Gatorade for electrolytes and consume enough juice for its great vitamins. The last thing you want is to be dehydrated and making a surprise visit to your local hospital for an IV. Keep drinking even when you feel like you’ve had enough! Your refrigerator should be stocked with all of your drinks and you should be replenishing the bottle you keep next to your bed. Drink, and stay hydrated to flush out the sickness!

6. Nutrition is Key.

When you are lying in bed with a cold or flu, you can sometimes doze off and forget to eat. If you are taking antibiotics or over-the-counter medicine, you shouldn’t be taking them on an empty stomach. Believe me, I’ve learned the hard way and ended up even sicker than before. I’m not saying to eat a five-course meal while you’re sick, but maintaining your nutrition is vital. Soup, yogurt and some fruits are very nutritional and will help you recover quickly. Smoothies are great because they have all of the vitamins you need, plus they will soothe your sore throat. Make sure you are eating throughout the day so you don’t become even sicker. Help your body fight off the illness with nutrition!

Cady is a senior at the University of Central Florida who is majoring in Writing & Rhetoric and minoring in Mass Communications. She's a lover of green tea, dogs and all things fashion. Cady has been writing her entire life and she hopes to pursue a career as a lifestyle magazine writer. If you want to follow her on social media, you can find her on Instagram and Facebook!
UCF Contributor