Life > Academics

The Top 5 Tips To Help You Escape The Spring Semester Slump

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

After a month of holiday festivities and seeing friends and family, the time has come to return to school and start the spring semester. However, returning to work and school can seem difficult after the break, and the weather does nothing to help lift spirits. Here are the top 5 tips to get you out of that winter break slump.

Join a study group

Although it may feel awkward, trying to join or make a study group is incredibly beneficial not only for your academic success but also for your mental health. Talk to the people next to you and try creating a group chat so you can plan to meet up outside of class. Not only can you guys share class tips and study together, but you also have the opportunity to make a few friends to laugh with. Social interaction is beneficial to everyone, so make sure you get your daily dose of it! 

Create a Google calendar or notion

Notion and Google Calendar are incredible tools to help you develop a routine and keep your life on track. As someone who uses both, I like Notion because it helps me keep track of my assignments and tasks, while Google Calendar organizes my entire month from classes to appointments to work. These apps can help you stay on task and prevent you from forgetting anything. 

Dress to impress

While I like living in my pajamas and bed-rotting just as much as the next person, if you want to get out of a slump you have to get out of your sweatpants! Forcing yourself to get dressed in “normal” clothes every day will give you the mindset that you need to work, and you’ll feel better about yourself.

move, move, move

Moving your body will make you feel more energized and ready to face any challenges that may come your way. It doesn’t matter if you go on a simple walk or 2 hour HIIT workout, just moving your body a little can refresh your mind. Finding friends to work out with will motivate you to keep a routine. Personally, I like going on walks in between study sessions to clear my thoughts and get fresh air.

Leave your room!

For most people, their bedroom is a comfortable space. While you do want to be comfortable while studying, staying in your room all the time might make it too comfortable. Leaving your house, dorm, or apartment allows you to focus on what you have to do. Personally, when I’m studying in my room, all I want to do is lie down and watch Netflix, and I’m completely unable to focus. By going to the library, a friend’s place, or a cafe I’m able to create an environment where I can focus on my work. If people around you are working, you almost feel obligated to do the same.

All in all, it is vital to be in the right headspace to stay motivated this semester. Finding people to hold you accountable is helpful, but you also need to put yourself first and help yourself. Focus on taking things one day at a time in the journey of getting your life back on track for this semester’s classes.

Anushka Desai is a freshman student at UCF currently majoring in Legal Studies and is a Staff Writer for Her Campus UCF. In her free time she engages in journaling, cooking and drawing. You might catch her indulging in long drives while listening to her favorite guilty pleasure playlists.