5 Post-Finals Activities To Get Into the Holiday Spirit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

The beginning weeks of December are typically finals season, which brings students stress. After tackling those exams, there’s nothing better than relaxing with some holiday festivities. With only a few weeks left until Christmas, it’s time to get into the holiday spirit. Here are five post-finals activities for this holiday break:

Watch Christmas Movies

The holiday break gives students the opportunity to binge movies. When you’ve just finished taking exams or writing papers, the first thing you want to do is give your brain a break. Christmas movies are the perfect start to unwinding from the stressful week.

Streaming services, such as Netflix and Hulu, have endless options. They offer various genres, including classics, comedy and romance Christmas films. Grab some hot chocolate and tune into a holiday special.

Listen to Christmas music

Holiday tunes will boost your mood after a week full of studying. Check out some of the Christmas playlists on Spotify. The genres range from holiday hits to jazz and retro jams. My recommendations are the “Christmas Classics” and “Christmas Jazz” playlists. They contain holiday hits that are sure to get you dancing.

If you’re a lo-fi listener, I recommend listening to Chillhop Music’s winter playlist. While you’re cooking or decorating, play some tunes in the background. It’s an excellent way to switch from finals mode to holiday break. 

Decorate for Christmas

Decorating after finals doesn’t have to be a complex task. Whether you hang string lights or place mini-sized Christmas trees on your table, adding holiday decor will make you excited for the holidays. Since finals have ended, you’ll have more time to customize your room with Christmas-themed items.

Imagine the joy that will result from walking into a beautifully decorated room. Once you get decorating, you’ll feel more relaxed. Everyone has different ways of decorating, so figure out what fits you best.

Bake dessert

You’ll get some delicious treats while relieving yourself of the finals week stress. The smell of fresh, oven-baked sugar cookies will take your mind off of the past week’s tasks. The holiday break is a great time to try out new recipes.

If you’re unsure where to start, begin with a basic sugar cookie recipe. Then, after you’re finished baking, you can decorate them with icing. It’s a fun activity to do with friends or family, and your stomach will thank you afterward.

Check out this sugar cookie tutorial!
Read a book

Winter break is when students have the chance to read for leisure. This time, you’ll get to choose what you’re reading. After skimming assigned chapters in a textbook, the thought of picking up a gripping book of your choice may be exciting.

On a chilly December night, you have the opportunity to grab that fiction book that’s been on your reading list. If you’re interested in science fiction, Pittacus Lore’s book, I Am Number Four, is one you won’t be able to put down. Find a cozy spot on the couch and spend time in books that interest you.

Make sure to reward yourself for surviving finals week. These five activities will relax your mind and get you in the holiday spirit. Enjoy this Christmas season with loved ones! Happy Holidays!

Deanna is a senior majoring in English Creative Writing at UCF along with an Editing and Publishing certificate. After graduation, she plans to pursue an editorial career. When she's not writing or studying, she loves singing, listening to music, and watching scary movies.