This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Since my earlier teenage years, I have struggled with anxiety and the effects stress has had on my body and mind. I went through a period in my life where my anxiety and stress really began to take a toll on both my physical and mental health. At the time, my parents and I were doing everything we could to get to the bottom of the issue, with the end goal in mind of helping me feel better. 

Aside from regular doctors appointments and an unnecessary amount of medical tests, we decided to give therapy a shot. Basically, at the time it was not for me. I, as a young, sensitive teenager, did not think that I needed someone to help me fix my issues. I felt as if I was capable of overcoming them by myself with the occasional help of my family. 

To add to that, the therapists that I did give a try left a really sour taste in my mouth. They were too manipulative and ignorant and always seemed to skew away from the issue at hand that I wanted to discuss and get help to overcome. Due to these countless bad experiences, I vowed to myself that I would never go to therapy again. And that is what I did, well until recently that is. 

Heading into my first years of college, my anxiety ramped up again. In the last year or so, it has reached the highest point. I was anxious and at times suffering from depression, not feeling like myself, I felt like I was living in a “twilight zone.” I did not like or want these feelings and wanted to make a change for the better so I could feel like myself once again. 

two women sit on the beach, facing the ocean. the sun shines in between them.
Briana Tozour | Unsplash
I knew that I deserved to be happy and for the most part, stress free, but I did not know how it would be best to battle this challenge at this point in my life. I gave antidepressants a shot for almost a year, but in the last few months I had noticed that it did not seem like they were doing much at all. The only other option at this point was to try therapy again, the thing I hated the most and vowed to never engage in again, years ago.                 

Well, here I am three sessions into therapy and I am actually loving it. Having the opportunity to talk to someone who is basically an expert in making people feel better, is really a great thing. I learned that it is okay to seek professional help and that there is a reason we have people in this world with that profession. There can be such a stigma around mental health and treating it, but in reality I think that the world would be better off if we all saw a therapist every once in a while. 

I was tired of not feeling like myself. Since I have been going to therapy and learning new ways to manage my anxiety and occasional depression, I have noticed a significant change in my mood and overall well being. Basically, the bottom line is that everyone has different ways of coping with issues they face, therapy is something that I am now glad I gave a second chance, if that is the key in making me feel better, then I will not be ashamed of it. I am proud of myself for taking steps to keep me healthy and engaging in something I once vowed to never partake in again.

Notebook with \"create a life you love\" written on it
Unsplash

Ashley is a senior at the University of California, Davis. She is studying Communication and getting her minor in English with the hopes of one day having a successful career in one of the two fields. Ashley enjoys spending time with her family and exercising in her free time.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!