This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

“I look back on my 20s. It’s supposed to be the prime of your life, the most vital, the most beautiful. But you’re making your critical decisions and sometimes your most critical mistakes.” Ann Brashares, author

I am on the brink of my twenties. Am I ready?

Your twenties are often considered the defining decade, your selfish years, the years where anything can and will happen. I find the prospect of this looming decade both exciting and intimidating in equal measure. On one hand I look to my twenties as the start of my future; a twisting unpredictable path to being happy. On the other, I feel as if I have a lot more growing up to do. Though I am nervous to leave the awkward delights of the teenage years, I am looking forward to see what the adult me will become.

When I was little, and adults would ask what I wanted to be when I grew up, a princess was usually my answer. I am now at the stage of my life where this question requires a more serious answer. The time of “when I grow up” is actually here. I know it’s cheesy, but I believe that in this next decade of my life that I will truly be able to define myself as a person and find my “path.”

If you are about to enter your twenties, or are just beginning them, you may have concerns over the decisions you’ll make or questions of what to do next. From the small things, like am I eating too much pasta for my own good? To the more important things like should I go to graduate school? Know that this is completely normal. It is ok to question yourself, especially about the big decisions.

I can’t predict what the next ten years will bring for me. I have set goals such as graduating from UC Davis, traveling, and more adult things like budgeting my money. I know all of my plans will work accordingly as long as I continue to ask myself the following questions throughout the decade:

Am I happy?

Do I like the people I’m with?

Am I healthy?

If the answer is no to any of these questions, I know that a change is needed.

I feel like navigating my twenties will be somewhat similar to walking through a maze blindfolded. Just remember, that in the maze of your twenties, that there will be other confused people and that you aren’t alone.

Good luck to you all. I hope you find your way.

Kirsten is an English and Communications double major and Professional Writing minor at UC Davis. She enjoys drinking tea, rereading Bridget Jones's Diary, and making Harry Potter references in casual conversation. She loves untranslatable words, Shakespearean insults, and Helen Mirren. After graduation, she hopes to find a job that makes her happy and own an extensive mug collection.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!